S2, EP 8: Mr. Toad

Yesterday, Y/n was forced to fight Shoto. Not forced, rather wait and fight in the sports festival than help her brothers.

And yesterday, he had told her about his past. She didn't think anything of it. She didn't think it'd be hard to get him to use his fire, in actual combat. But when she and Izuku had made him break his promise, multiple times, she didn't think anything of it. But his fire—truly is something amazing.

Flashback: "Hey! Shoto! L-listen to me! It-it's not your f-fault! It's s-science! You don't p-put ice on a burn! It was my f-fault!" She grabbed him by his shoulders. Staring down his teary eyes. He looked at her bandaged forehead.

The memory still flashed in his head. He had shot a stream of fire at her and as a result,  burned her forehead. Her quirk didn't mix well and caused a red spot on her forehead. Like his. He didn't even care about her fire. If you can even call it that.

"It's not your f-fault, okay?" He nodded, her hands slid off his shoulders and connected with his hands. Slowly, but surely, their fingers intertwined. He looked at her forehead, covered in bandages. A bruise on her cheek. Her long sleeves had been ripped. He couldn't help it—his fingers traced over the red spots on her arm, bruised blood vessels, the small tears in her skin.

"What are these from?..." he said in a soft voice, still tracing up her arm. "My qu-quirk..." his head shot up. It all made sense now—the fire.

When she blocked his attack with her hands, the bright, black fire shot up from her hands and engulfed her in its cold embrace. Everyone across the stadium felt it. It was black as her hair, extremely tall and independent. Shoto had shot a stream of fire again, but the black fire engulfed his, freezing it in place.

When it died down all that was left was a frozen stream in the air. The floor and Y/n's hand suffering the after effect. She had known, but suppressing it got her nowhere. She, like him, both don't want to use their quirk to its fullest.

"Why—why didn't you tell me—" but he quickly corrected himself. "Anyone, why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I guess...in a way w-we relate. It doesn't feel like mine, I-it's the same quirk as my s-sisters. But I n-never wanted to use it. Es-especially after she died..but, it's not hers, remember? It's ours."

In the present, she had to be sent home with an escort. Her house had been wrecked, vandalized, and turned into a crime scene. Her dad and three brothers were gone. On top of that, they wouldn't let her send the money. It sucked.

True, she could go to her mom about this. But her mom could give less shits about her ex-husband's kids. Y/n doesn't know why, she's both their biological child, her three brothers, and late sister, however, are not.

She has no aunts or uncles, no cousins, no other blood relatives.

So in the meantime, all she had was her best friend; a stuffed toad.

The doorbell rang a bunch of times, she couldn't hear it from outside and kept ringing. 'Does this even work—'

"Hello?!" She said in a very annoyed tone, she laid eyes on Y/n and shrieked.

"L/n! It's been so long!!" She embraced Y/n in a hug.

"H-hey Inko-Chan!" Y/n hasn't seen her in a while, true. But she's never forgotten about her, of course, it's her best friend's mom.

"Izukus in his room if you wanted to see him!" She said while pulling away. She noticed Y/n's purple backpack. She would never question any mysterious scars Y/n had. But the red spot on her forehead wasn't so mysterious. She watched the sports festival, everyone saw how it happened. She wore a mysterious bright red sweater.

"N-no, th-that's not why I'm here.." she saw the worry on Y/n's face as she tightly clutched the greens ruffed toad to her chest. "I-I wa-s wondering I-if I could st-stay here for a little," but she quickly added, "be-because my brothers and f-father have gone m-missing. S-so..you know m-my mom...and th-then th-the house is an m-mess—"

"Oh of course! I'm sure Izuku would love to have you!" Y/n's face lit up, she didn't think she'd agree. She wondered what Izuku would think...

"You're always welcome here!" She fully opened the door and made way for her. Y/n walked in and the house smell had filled her nose, of wonderful lavender and vanilla, it made her nostalgic. And suddenly remember the time she had thanksgiving over here, it was quite the day.

"Th-thank you s-so much!" Y/n's grip from her stuffed toad loosened, as her nerves calmed down. Inko was such a sweet person.