1.13

♛

The helicopter is still hovering around our surroundings for the past whatever minutes. I don't know how long we've been sitting here for, had it been 5, 10, 40 minutes? I'm starting to get agitated and antsy. Just as I'm about to stand up for a stretch off the ground of the dirty bus, a voice calls out for Mike inside of his backpack.

"Mike, are you there? Mike?" Nancy's familiar voice fills the quiet bus. The kids and I immediately look at each other and then the speaking backpack.

Mike rushes to grab his backpack that he placed earlier underneath a seat. He opens the bag as she continues to speak to him on the radio.

"Answer. Mike, we need you to answer."

We?

"Is that your sister?" Lucas questions, moving closer to Mike.

"This is an emergency, Mike. Do you copy? Mike, do you copy?"

Lucas grabs the radio out of Mike's small hands, "don't answer." Mike is quick to say to his friend and then grabs the radio out of Lucas' hands.

"She said it was an emergency." Lucas argues as Mike holds the radio in his hand.

"What if it's a trick?" Mike asks but Lucas shakes his head.

"It's your sister!" Lucas groans.

"What if the bad people kidnapped her?" Mike argues. "What if they're forcing her to say this?"

He makes a good point, but I think it's something we have to risk and I'm definitely not saying this just so I can get out of this dirty fucking bus.

"Mike, what if it's not a trick?" I question. "You and Nancy's relationship is weird, right? I'm guessing she wouldn't speak to you unless it's an emergency."

I remember that's how I was when I first started dating Steve. We did everything together that I basically had no time to spend with my half-siblings. Steve took up my mind 24/7. He still does.

"I need you to answer."

I look over at Mike who seems to be considering what I'm saying by the way his eyes move to me and the radio.

"It's like Lando Calrissian," Dustin says. "Don't answer."

"Rando Cala-Russian who?" I ask, the name completely unfamiliar to me.

"Lando Calrissian!" Dustin corrects but I just shrug, not really giving a shit. "Have you never seen Star Wars episode seven?"

"No? I'm not a fucking loser." I roll my eyes.

"She's uneducated." Jenny pats my shoulder and I smack her hand that lies on my shoulder. My eyes twitch as I go to put sanitiser on. She instantly pulls her hand away and holds her hand close to her chest.