3.01

♛ ♛ ♛

♛ ♛ ♛

2 months later

The atmosphere in Hawkins felt different, like we didn't have a group of Demogorgons chasing after us, we no longer had to look behind us or sleep with one eye open. My siblings and their friends are actually able to have fun and act their age.

But, coming home to one parents feels off, and not having my mom here to shower me with her attention after returning from rehab is killing me.

Being in my space, the comfort of my room is just a reminder of all the stupid shit I did last year. Getting hooked on drugs and alcohol, mingling with the wrong crowd and screwing everyone within that crowd turns me off the person I was.

Attending a substance abuse facility was genuinely something I never thought I'd ever experience. Fuck, even just doing drugs.

Jenny hands me a glass water and she sits down beside me on the couch. I smile as I take the glass out of her hands and fold my legs criss-cross on the couch.

"No, I didn't have a white room." I shake my head at the girl who, since I've been home, has bombarded me with hundreds of questions about rehab, the things I had to do, and what it was like to have a sleepover at a facility for months.

Jenny has pulled on my heart strings, something I would've never thought possible. She's been calling my stay at the centre, a sleepover. At first it was annoying, rehab wasn't a fucking sleepover, it was time-consuming, it was tough, it was never-freaking-ending! It was the constant medication taking day after day, it was the constant talking and repeating of the same crap day after day. It sucked.

It wasn't fun, it wasn't rainbows and unicorns. It was cold. It was horrid. But, it did the job. It helped. It did. I realise, Jenny is just trying, trying to help me feel better. Help herself feel better for not having me around, for not trying harder to get me to stop taking drugs.

"I watched rehab movies while you were gone, and thought to myself, 'ooh, maybe DanDan is doing this right now.' It was fun!" Jenny giggles. James lets out a quiet laugh to himself, watching Jenny laugh.

My smile falters when I look at James. While rehab has taught me to forgive, I haven't forgotten the harsh slap across my cheek. I haven't forgotten the apologies he didn't give me and the lack of goodbyes I wasn't able to give to my family or to Steve.

I miss him.

Andy walks past the living room, where James, Jenny and I sit, ignoring us and heading straight for the front door.

"Andy!" I try to call out before he could leave but he disregards me and slams the front door once he exits. I sigh and eye out the two in the room.

Jenny looks down at her hands, watching her fingers play, her eyes immediately turning glossy. James rolls his eyes, a scoff escaping his mouth before looking back to the television.