2.16

♛

One week later.

"She was the most wonderful wife, mother, and friend to most of you. She reached out to you when you were in the most difficult situations," I pinch at my showing skin of my mid-thigh as he speaks effortlessly on the podium.

"She stood by you. This is how she shared with you Jesus that she received in the sacraments. She toiled and worked especially for her children so that they could stand on their feet. Every mother when she dies, she carries with her all her pain, sorrow which are not shared with any but leaving behind the legacy of motherhood."

The priest continues to speak about my mom, and how much she's done for the community as both a mother and a scientist. If only he knew what she actually did. If only everyone knew what she did to the kids; how she studied them and hurt them just for having powers.

I shouldn't be thinking about this as I sit at a funeral with my family and people from the Hawkins community. Todays about honouring her. Even if—

"As we thank God for her life and for her calling in Christian life. Let us place her in the hands of Our Blessed mother. She understands our pain and suffering. May she intercede for her. May Our Lord grand our mother eternal rest in his heavenly kingdom. May her soul rest in peace. Amen." The priest finishes his speech before opening the bible to say a prayer.

I've never thought of myself as being religious. I think with the way Hawkins is right now, I could never think there is a God, or anyone/thing that has a higher power that would let all this happen to my family; to the children my mother hurt; to Eleven.

My mom wasn't a big believer either. She was baptised when she was younger, but all her beliefs went out the door when she started to raise an interest with science. I think she told me it was when she was just turned 15. Something exciting happened in her science class and ever since then she just felt a shift. My grandmother is a big believer, she'd probably pray herself to death if she found out the truth about mom's line of work.

I'd never tell her the truth though.

Once the priest had finished with his prayer. Everyone in the church stands and we begin heading outside, towards our cars to make our way to the burial of my mother.

I sit in the front passenger seat of the car which James drives, with my siblings in the back. The car ride completely silent, the only sounds are the quiet sobs escaping from Jenny's mouth, Andy's whispers to calm her down and James mumbling curses.

I remain still and silent, pinching at my thigh with my eyes shut and my head resting on the passenger window. Our car leads the rest of the attenders and their cars to the gravesite.

Once we made it to the cemetery, James parks and turns the car off. The four of us don't dare to make a move, not wanting to get out of the car and see her casket, make this feel or even be more real.