chapter 39

Turning the pepper chicken into a foil paper, lailah fold it as she humm along the music playing in the parlour, the front door open making her smile.

"Honey I'm in here." She yell from the kitchen as she neatly seal the foil, there's a noise coming from the parlour making her to quickly drop the chicken wrapped in the fridge before exiting quickly to the parlor.

Pushing his parent suitcase inside the parlour jalal sigh and ignore his mum unnecessary complaints trying to pick out fault in his wife.

"Jamilah please be nice this time,
She's your daughter to." The elderly man say to his wife who he knows very well she won't listen.

"Why are you standing staring confused at us, didn't we have the right to come visit our son."jamila say snapping a stroke dumbfounded looking Lailah who's standing by the kitchen door.

" ofcrse I'm happy to see you ma'am,
Good evening sir."Lailah greet her father in-law who slightly hug her with a smile.

"Evening Lailah,
Sorry we show up unannounced." He say and lailah node.

"It's fine sir,
You always welcome here,
Good evening ma,am." Lailah greet but as usual her mother in-law ignore her.

"Your things is in the guest room dad,
I have to go get my things from the office, i will see you later." Jalal say and quickly exit the house leaving lailah standing awkwardly with his parent.

"Uhmmm sir,
Let me show you to your room so you can prepare for dinner." Lailah suggest and her father in-law node.

"Ofcrse lailah,
I always love your cooking,
Something tradition will be good,
I miss home traditional meal." He say and lailah node.

"OK Sir,
How about pounded yam with egusi soup with alot of periwinkles and shrimp in it?" Lailah ask and her father in-law smile.

"Ofcrse that will be awesome." He say and his wife clear her throat.

"I don't want traditional dish,
Some fried rice and pepper chicken will be good for me." Her mother in-law grumble and lailah node.

"OK ma'am,
Let me show you two to your bedroom." Lailah say but her mother in-law snort.

"This is my son house i know the road around here very good." She grumble and lailah release a heavy breathe.

"OK ma'am,
I will let you know if dinner is set." Lailah say and her father in-law slightly pat her on the back, she know very well the generous,kindhearted old man isn't lucky to spend his entire life with such a grumpy, ill-mannered lady as a wife sure love make us see good in bad people, she watch as the two walk up the staircase until the disappear out of sight making her to release a heavy breathe.

"""""""
Rushing inside his office, jalal pick his bag and put the necessary documents inside, today is just a bus y bad day to him, first he looses the contract he worked very hard for, his secretary misplaced a very important document then his parent show up unannounced, he doesn't want want to even think of what his wife is going through his mum is probably trying to upset her, he pick his office bag and exit the building.

Kicking the parlour door open jalal eyes dart to the dinning table a sign Lailah has already finished cooking dinner making him to sigh and head upstairs straight to there bedroom.

"Why didn't you tell me your parent are coming?" Lailah ask immediately her husband enters the bedroom.

"Good evening to you to." Jalal say and lailah roll her eyes.

"I'm serious,
I understand it's your house but a little notice will do just fine." Lailah say and follow jalal to the walk in closet.

"They just called me to come pick them at the airport, please lailah i have a really wacky bad day please if you can't say anything comforting to me then just let me be please I'm not in the mood." Jalal say politely and lailah mouth drop.

"Ohhh really.
Look jalal just because i keep up with your mum's attitude doesn't mean I'm an idiot and i enjoy how she doesn't treat me with respect." Lailah say and jalal remove his clothe with a sigh.

"Then don't let her lailah,
Treat her the way you want,
Please I'm in a very terrible mood don't make me say something we will both regret." Jalal say and head to the bathroom.

Lailah hiss and exit the bedroom, she head to the guest bedroom and let her in-laws know dinner is set which her father in-law let her know they will be down in a jiffy she saunter back downstairs and head to the kitchen, she remove some of the fruit salad and drop it on the dinning table just in time her father in-law and his wife comes down.

"Lailah everything scent amazing." Her father in-law compliment as he drag the chair for his wife who sit scrunching  her nose up as usual.

"Thank you sir." Lailah say and begin dishing the food.

Once she served them the food she sit with a sigh with her plate of couscous in her front, jalal walk to the dinning table and take his sit next to his wife,
Lailah watch as her husband serve himself the pounded yam and egusi soup making her to avert her gaze back to her food as she blow out some air through her mouth.

"Your wife is a good cook jalal."jalal dad compliment but his son doesn't say anything.

Jalal just continue eating his food, he's not in a good mood if anything he just want to be alone right now.

" jalal.
When are you going to consider the decision of taking a second wife or aren't you ready to start a family yet?"his mum ask and jalal look up with a sigh.

"Lailah had an ectopic pregnancy a couple week ago the doctor have to remove it so it won't affect her health." Jalal say and go back to eating his food.

"I'm sorry about that lailah,
I'm sure a better one is coming to stay." Her father in-law say and lailah node.

"Thank you sir." Lailah grumble and her mother in-law snort.

"I don't understand this why is it that her pregnancy can't stay, are you sure your wife want to have kids with you at all or are you both just lieing to please us." His mum add and jalal sigh.

"Please mum i don't want to have this conversation right now, you and dad didn't have me until 8years after your marriage so why is it a problem now because i can't have kids, maybe is not the right time." Jalal say and his Dad node.

"Sure.
You will have kids soon.
Where's Afrah?" His mum ask and jalal clear his throat.

"Afrah go back to stay with her brother." He say and his mum shrug.

"Jalal maybe you and your wife should go to a fertility clinic for check up or something." His dad suggest and jalal node..

"We will try." Jalal say with a sigh.

"J......

" mum please let's just eat and get this over, I had a bad day and I'm not in the mood for your complaints or your opinion on how imperfect my wife is, because i care about my wife and love her imperfections. "Jalal say and the place fall silent.

Lailah turn her gaze to her husband,
Anytime she sees him she feel ashamed of herself, jalal always defend her, he is a good husband and he didn't deserve to be betray the way she did to him, lailah fear the day her husband will get to find out about what she did and if he never find out she knows she will eventually tell him because she cannot continue to keep such huge secret to herself..

Drop your comments and vote.

Please do check my other two books

Distasteful desires and
Chronicles of Abduljabbar