Chapter 18

The pack was headed to the school. Willa wanted to begin planning out how they would retrieve the moonstone from Seabrook power. 

Waverly was at the back of the group with Winston. 

Her dark brown locks bounced up and down with every step. She had her hair down today, unlike the usual half-up-half-down thing she normally preferred. 

Something had changed inside of her since Wyatt admitted his feelings in the forest. 

She wasn't happier. 

If anything, she was miserable. 

Having to depend on another to receive even a small amount of joy or excitement was awful. It felt like she had nothing else to live for, like he was her oxygen. 

And right now, she was suffocating. 

She never wanted a relationship. The thought had never even crossed her mind. 

When she was younger, having to watch her parents argue and fight about the dumbest things seemed pointless now. 

Waverly never wanted to feel the excruciating, overwhelming pain of grief or loss ever again. 

But she will. 

Wyatt is dying, and there is nothing she can do to stop it. 

The moonstone seemed like some kind of myth now, impossible to find. 

"You know, I thought you'd be happy." Winston blurted out, interrupting Waverly's whirlpool of thoughts. 

Her dark eyes connected with his. 

"Wyatt said he likes you back, Waverly." The keen werewolf reminded her. "Isn't this a good thing?"

Waverly's eyes blurred at the thought of him. "No. It is not."

She began to pick up pace, firmly crossing her arms along her chest. 

"I don't understand," he went on, "you still like him, don't you?"

She ignored his question, trying to hold back the response clawing at her lips. 

"He said he liked you back, and you're acting like someone just stabbed you in the heart with a silver spoon-"

"Shut up!" She roared, spinning around to meet his gaze. 

The rest of the pack stopped, turning to them with curious glances.

Winston stared at her, confusion and pain in his eyes. "Tell me what's wrong."

She dropped her hair over her eyes, avoiding eye contact with the rest of the wolves. 

Willa flashed her eyes. "Let's get going!"

They turned around and continued walking towards the high school. 

Waverly stayed behind with Winston. 

She could feel Wyatt's worried eyes on her. They felt like needles trying to pierce her skin. 

"I'm a mess, Winston." She admitted. "I thought Wyatt expressing his feelings for me would make me feel good."

"Yeah, that's what usually happens." He joked. 

The brunette groaned, running her hands down her face. 

"All I can think about is how no matter how much I love him.. I'm always going to lose him." Waverly explained, trying to steady her voice enough for him to make sense of the situation. 

The werewolf before her sighed. "That's true. Death is inevitable."

She stared at him, waiting for helpful advice to come out of his mouth.