Chapter 42

Waverly hurried past the Seabrook border where Willa planned on stationing Winston and the rest of Warner's clan.

Every elder had a specific clan they led into battle.

This one happened to be the best since it was led by the former leader of the pack. 

She spotted the marking point a few yards away.

Willa marked all of their hiding spots with moonstone dust which was only visible to those with supernatural night vision.

Perfect for werewolves.

The shapeshifter rushed over to the marked tree, immediately running into Winston.

He was surrounded by a group of other werewolves, maybe fifteen. 

They were all standing tall, facing forward. 

Like soldiers. 

Warner was nowhere to be seen. 

Good.

"Hey, where the hell have you been?" He asked quietly, turning to face her. "You blew off my dinner."

Waverly sighed. "I'm sorry, Willa and I spent all night searching for Wyatt."

He nodded slowly. "Still haven't found him, huh?"

She shook her head. "No, but we will."

The werewolf spared her a reassuring smile before glancing back at his group. "You should get in front with Willa, she'll need you up there."

"Yeah." Waverly breathed out, shaking out her palms.

She didn't have a clan.

Since there was no rule that a shapeshifter had to be subjected to a battle group, she was never chosen to be a part of one.

Although it seemed a bit discriminatory, Waverly didn't mind it because that meant she got to be up front with the alpha and Wyatt.

"Don't worry." Winston said, catching her attention. "You can do this. With or without Wyatt."

She smiled. "Thank you, Winston."

As Waverly turned to leave, the werewolf grabbed her arm softly, admiring the bands wrapped around her wrist. 

"These look good on you."

* * *

Once Waverly made it over to Willa who was scouting out the forest on top of a rock, she huffed out a sigh.

"Quiet." Willa scolded, keeping her focus on the valley.

The shapeshifter jumped on top of the rock along with her. "Have you spotted any hunters yet?"

She didn't answer.

Waverly turned to the werewolf, frowning. "You're not usually this quiet."

The alpha dropped her head. "I'm sorry, Waverly."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Sorry about what...?"

Before Willa could answer, someone cleared their throat from behind Waverly, startling her.

The shapeshifter spun around, her eyes landing on Warner and Whitney.

The elders..

"What's going on?" Waverly questioned, talking a hesitant step back.

"You will not be participating in this battle, Waverly." Warner spoke, his foggy grey eyes flashing to signify that he was serious. "You will also not wear Wyatt Lykensen's bands."