Chapter 56

The battle finally felt like it was coming to an end. More than half of the hunters were dead and Matthew was finally slain. He was finally gone.

Waverly kept replaying the moment when the life slipped out of his body. She had never felt such joy. The shapeshifter could still feel the warmth of his blood on her fingers.

As Waverly made her way through the trees, examining the few bodies she'd spotted lying in the dirt, she felt her courage returning. She actually felt relief. They were going to win.

Sure, they still had twenty four hunters to find and slaughter, but a bunch of men without a leader against angry werewolves? That was barely even a fight. Right?

She was avoiding the field as much as she could, even though she could feel it pulling her back. Waverly was desperate to find William. Even dead, he seemed to connect to her somehow.

She loved him like a brother, and now he was gone. She promised that she would save him, that she would help him once Matthew was gone, and now he was dead. Waverly didn't save him. He saved her.

Suddenly, as Waverly made her way towards the north side of the forest, she stumbled upon Winston and Zane. They were hidden behind a tree, kissing.

She smiled to herself. Even though Zane was a zombie...she was happy that Winston finally found someone.

"Waverly," Winston said, pulling away from Zane. "What are you doing?"

She felt her eyes widen. Sometimes Waverly forgot that the other werewolves could hear just as well as her.

Plus, Winston used to tell her that she had a very peculiar scent, which she used to find extremely offensive, but after learning that she was a shapeshifter, it made sense that she smelt different to him.

"Making sure no one interrupted." Waverly hummed, desperately attempting to mask her embarrassment.

Zane wiped a hand down his face, clearly unhappy about her catching them. Especially since she'd been calling him and his friends flesh eaters all day...

"Thanks," Winston muttered, sarcastically. "Are you going to stay there?"

Waverly cleared her throat awkwardly. "No."

Zane stayed behind the tree the entire time. Honestly, she didn't see him as they shy type. But then again, he was a fles—zombie.

Winston watched her leave. She could feel his eyes on her until she was about thirty feet away.

Making out in the same woods that people are hunting you in didn't seem like the smartest idea to her, but then again, it was a good way to cope with the stress.

If only she had someone to confide in like that. Wyatt was being distant and she couldn't help but feel like it was her fault. It probably was. Everything seemed to be her fault.

Waverly snapped out of her pouting state when a yelp rang through the forest. She immediately knew it was Winston.

The shapeshifter started running, but hesitated for a moment. A zombie and a werewolf? They could easily handle themselves against a human. But what if it was more than just one human?

She closed her eyes and sucked in a breath, focusing on the tree that she had found them behind. Almost instantly, she could see them pushed up against the side, surrounded by three hunters.

One of the men was holding a rifle, the other two were holding knives. Where did Matthew find all of these weapons?

Just as she decided to go and help them, one of the humans, with the knives, slashed Zane's arm clean open. He cried out and stumbled back, red veins crawling up his arms.