Chapter 44

Waverly snapped at the zombies, yelling for them to back up as the brain-eaters crowded around her.

She hated nothing more than the smell of rotting flesh.

Fresh meat was much better, anyway.

As they stepped back, continuing to express their concern.

An image appeared before the shapeshifter.

A tree.

A bolt of lightning.

The same visions from earlier.

Waverly ignored the words of her pale acquaintances and hurled herself back onto her feet.

"Careful, you're bleeding!" Addison pointed out, reaching for her.

Waverly smacked her arm away.

She winced as her bones began to crack, signifying that the shapeshifter was about to transform.

"Get back." She roared, eyes glowing blue.

Addison shook her head. "You're injured."

Waverly slashed her claws through the air as the human touched her arm, sending the blonde fumbling backwards.

Zed's veins popped and slithered across his skin, turning red.

He roared at the shapeshifter, eyes dark and devoid of life.

Of course he would try to protect Addison.

Waverly rolled her eyes as fur tore through her clothing.

Once she was completely transformed, Waverly threw herself on top of the zombie, her canines inches away from his throat.

The rest of the zombies ran to defend their leader, but she moved her claws up to Zed's neck, threatening them.

They froze.

Waverly breathed in, practically crying out as the stabbing pain in her side crushed her lungs.

The shapeshifter tore her hand away from the zombie.

She flashed her eyes as they moved closer.

As the pain worsened, so did her bloodlust.

Waverly wanted nothing more than to rip apart these flesh-eating monsters, but she knew she couldn't.

She needed them.

Addison stood behind them, her hands over her face in fear.

Waverly forced herself to transform back.

They needed a leader.

A better one than Zed, anyway.

"Zombies!" Waverly announced, grabbing their attention.

"This is war. Worry for those you love will only weaken you, distract you from what we're trying to accomplish. The hunters slaughtered my pack, my family, they deserve exactly what's coming to them. If you are too afraid, leave." She ordered, pointing towards the town. "Leave now."

Addison stepped out from her hiding place. "No one is leaving. And you're wrong."

Waverly grinned. "Oh, am I? Do tell."

The blonde lifted her head, attempting to appear brave.

It wasn't doing her much justice.

"Because love conquers all." She finished, smiling proudly.

Waverly laughed in her face. "Love conquers all?"

The zombies nodded along with Addison.

The shapeshifter seethed. "I should've known. Of course you pampered pansies would think that. You've lived in this town, this wealthy town. You zombies think you had it so bad? Try living in fear, fatigue. You have no idea-"