Chapter 32

"What?" Waverly said, laughing slightly.

William turned to face her.

His eyes were still glowing bright blue.

"If we hadn't met, none of this would've happened." He put forth, running a hand through his mess of thick brown hair.

Waverly shook her head. "The hunters would've found me eventually."

"Maybe." He muttered, struggling to maintain eye-contact. "But you never would have met me."

The shapeshifter slid forward. "William-"

"You're still here because you wanted to help me, right?" He questioned, interrupting her.

Waverly folded her arms tightly over her chest.

"You don't have to help me, Waverly." William said, voice barely above a whisper.

The shapeshifter blew out a breath.

He was right, she didn't need to help him.

But she was going too regardless.

Why would a traitor risk his life just to tell her this?

Simple explanation, he was no traitor.

"You're right." Waverly stated, sliding closer to him. "But I don't care."

His eyebrows furrowed.

"I care about you, William." She went on. "Even though you are one hell of a pain in the ass."

A small smile stretched across his face.

"I guess I cant change your mind." He went on, finally looking the shapeshifter in the eyes.

Waverly pushed herself up from the moss-covered ground below and walked over to the brooding shapeshifter.

She held out her hand, inviting him to grab it.

William did just that, and she pulled him to his feet.

"No, you can't." Waverly put forth, a faint grin spread across her dirt-stained face.

He nodded slowly. "Alright."

They stood there for a moment, examining the other's freshly healed wounds.

"Sorry about your shirt." William muttered, tracing a finger over Waverly's torn up grey t-shirt.

She shrugged. "It's not mine."

"Oh." He said, laughing slightly.

Waverly looked down at what he had been wearing.

She didn't even take the time to take note of it since all the shapeshifter could think about was ripping his head off.

A brown jacket, white t-shirt and blue jeans.

"Why are you dressed like that?" Waverly questioned, wondering why he was dressed like Addison's father.

William's expression faltered. "Uh, this was my attempt at looking human."

He flicked the collar of the shit-colored jacket. "How'd I do?"

The shapeshifter grimaced. "Well, I'm revolted, so I'd say pretty good."

He nodded.

Waverly's eyebrows furrowed. "Why were you trying to look human?"

William hesitated for a moment.

"The hunter's want me to start attending classes.. at the school." He began to explain.