Chapter 1

-ZAINAB SHAMAKI'S POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

I am not a good person. I never claimed I was.

I make decisions that a lot deem wrong, but I don't care. They call talk all they want because I've always been a firm believer of people will talk no matter what. You do something good, they talk. You do something bad, they talk. You don't do anything at all, they still talk so...why bother?

We all do what we have to do to live, and survive in a world like this. No one's exempted. It's just up to us which path we choose to take.

And this is mine.

"...my son is innocent. This is why I wanted to meet you and clear things up...you know. It's better to handle these kind of things with you people first" The man seated opposite me offered a wide grin—one that had the corner of his eyes crinkling slightly. His brows, dusted with bits of grey were one of the signs that shows his old age. But, even with grey hair, wrinkles, and age spots, he's still here...trying to survive. Certainly not in the most honest way, but survive nonetheless.

My lips slowly stretched into a small smile, "People like me?" I questioned, my voice low but loud enough for him to catch it.

His eyes widened slightly, lips stretching as he bobbed his head repeatedly. "Reporters like you, of course"

I hummed slightly. "I am a Journalist" My smile didn't waver as I held his gaze, "Not all reporters are one" Common mistake I've seen many people make, but I tend to point it out when I feel the need to.

"Journalist...reporter, either way" He shrugged slightly, his knowing gaze pinned on me. He raised his left hand up, reaching it out to pat his chest lightly. "This old man is just trying to tell you the truth"

Instinctively, I rose a brow slightly. The truth he says? 'Don't make me laugh' I wanted to utter, but I held myself back. I've been in this situation countless times that I've learnt what to say and what not to say. For my sake of course.

"—I'm being honest, Miss Shamaki. My son is innocent of all that he is being accused of..."

"And the election is near" I completed his statement for him, knowing it is what he will undoubtedly say.

His smile widened. "Of course. The last thing I need is a scandal about my son ruining my image before then" Technically, both he and I know it's more than a 'scandal' about his son. It's a fact. But he's here, trying to cover it up.

And what do I do? I'll help him cover it up of course. Or so it seems.

The thought had my smile stretching into a grin. "Of course, we can't have anything ruining your name, Honorable" I extended my hand out to pick up the glass of some drink that was served to us earlier. I truly don't know what it is, but it's the least of my concern.

Bottom line is, I know it won't do any harm to me. I'm the last person he would want to harm...for now.

He nodded, satisfied with my answer. Looking behind him, he offered a curt nod to the man he came with—probably his assistant or whatever. I heard footsteps approaching us first, and then a paper bag was placed on the table beside me. I spared it a glance, one that didn't last longer than a few seconds before moving my questioning gaze back to him.

He chuckled lightly, it coming out gruff. "It's just a little appreciation from me" He explained, making me nod slowly in understanding. The grin on my face morphing into a slight smirk. "I hope you'll take good care of this case" The way he says it, one would think I'm a lawyer and not a Journalist.