Chapter 40.

-THIRD PERSON POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

Nadine let out a scream; in the process, pushing away the cup of tea brought to her off the table and making it crash. She didn't care about the mess she has created though. Instead, she whipped her head up and fixed her glare on the man standing a couple of feet away from her.

The man looked down, unable to hold up her piercing glare.

"Didn't you hear me?" She questioned through gritted teeth, her eyes narrowing even more. "Call Hakeem this very instant!"

Hakeem's secretary whom she had called blew out a barely shaky breath. This woman truly is intimidating when she wants to be. To think he was able to handle ZainabShamaki a couple of months back but not Nadine Sheriff right now. He couldn't help it though. Nadine has this aura around her when she's angry that basically screams to thread carefully around her.

So, he swallowed thickly and clasped his hands behind his back. "Mrs. Sunusi, Mr. Hakeem left for something urgent--"

"I don't care if it's urgent! Call him right now. Tell him I'm sick or something...I don't know. But, call him now!"

The man winced, taking a step back from how piercing her voice sounded. Oh God, she's one scary being. He thought internally, avoiding her gaze. Somehow, when he was able to say something, it came out much stronger than he feels at the moment. "Ma'am, I can't. He said not to disturb him--"

"Do you think his wife and child are a disturbance to him?" She questioned, her voice low and daring him to admit it. This is all too ridiculous. She would've called him herself if not that the man had turned off his phone. However, she's certain this man knows how to reach him which is why she's having this quarrel with him—but he is getting on her nerves.

"But, Ma'am--"

"Wallahi unless you want me to make your life is a living hell you better call my husband right now! Ban soniskanci" Her Hausa isn't that fluent, but she's not bad. Besides, having lived with people who speak Hausa all the time, she's bound to get used to it at one point or another.

"Mrs--"

"Leave us"

The secretary visibly released a sigh hearing a familiar voice come from behind him. He was quick to nod, and without waiting for a second more, he turned around and scrammed out of the chamber hoping he would never be called by that woman ever again.

Nadine flickered her eyes close, taking in a deep breath as she clenched her hand into a fist by her side. For a few seconds, she simply focused on keeping her breathing in check before she spoke. "Why are you here?" She questioned, her breathing still ragged.

"You shouldn't stress yourself out like that" Came his voice, calm and collected. "It's not good for the baby"

Almost immediately, Nadine scoffed in disbelief. Flicking her eyes open, she rested her drowsy gaze on him. "And why do you care?" She didn't mean to make it sound so harsh, but she was exhausted both mentally and physically. She needs to vent it on someone and he just had to be there.

He took a few steps towards her, and wordlessly, he crouched low and began to pick up the pieces of broken tea cup. Thankfully, she had taken the tea so there wasn't much of a liquid mess to clean. He didn't look up, or answer her as he focused on his task at hand.

Nadine swallowed thickly, hating the silence coming from him. Blinking, she decided to ask the one question that's killing her internally. "Where's Hakeem?" She questioned, almost dreading the answer.