Chapter 10

-ZAINAB SHAMAKI'S POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

Adnan and I didn't exactly get the chance to clear the air between us. He didn't come back home early as I expected, which left me alone in the apartment and bored to no end.

I got up at one point and decided to quit my newly appointed position as a couch potato and instead, fix up the room. Contrary to most teenage boys and older men though, he is a pretty clean kid.

He keeps his place even better than I would. I can be a messy person, there's no need to deny that.

So, there wasn't really much to do other than arrange my clothes in the spot he cleared for me. I didn't want to crash his place. I truly don't. However, I am in a difficult situation. One that I can't get out of easily so I'll have to stay here until I can find another place to stay in.

Sure, I have the money to live somewhere else but I need to save it since I do have twenty million to pay. If that doesn't work, I'll need to hire a lawyer too and that will cost me a lot so it's better to save every bit I have.

For a moment, I considered taking the advice Adnan gave, but I pushed it away. And no, not the part where I have to talk to Hakeem and clear the air between us. One, we haven't seen or spoke to each other in years and two, there's nothing to clear up.

But not Hakeem, there's someone else I can ask for help and I know he would offer it no questions asked. After all, he has been taking care of my brother without asking for anything in return and even offered to help me too, but I turned it down. I didn't want to be a burden him anymore.

He's already doing a lot by handling something I didn't want to take responsibility for on my behalf. That could help me right now, but I truly don't want a thing to do with it.

So, I pushed that thought aside and decided to not ask him for anything. I'm already indebted to him enough. I can't be shameless and ask for more.

Deciding to focus on my task in hand, I did just that. When I was done, I changed into a more comfortable outfit and thought of what to do with my life. I doubt I'll be getting a job any time soon. All the publishing houses must be wary of hiring someone like me. Actually no, they are wary of hiring me.

Besides, it's either that or I'm on bad terms with them. Trust me, even in this industry, I have so many enemies that would rather watch their company fail than hire me.

So bottom line is, in this field, I'm done for. My career is over.

Can this get any worse? Truly.

Sighing, I buried my face in between my palms as I held back a groan. I don't know what to do, but I know I can't stay like this for the rest of my life. I have goals, and I need to achieve them one way or another. So, giving up and quietly getting out of this lawsuit isn't something I can do. I can't afford that.

Somehow, I ended up falling asleep on the couch and by the time I woke up, it was half past four. I remember falling asleep before one, which means I missed Asr prayer. Muttering an astagfirullah under my breath, I hastily went ahead and prayed not wanting to waste any more time.

When I was done praying, I realized Adnan still isn't home, however, when I checked the fridge, it was stocked. So, he probably came back home and went out again. My thoughts were confirmed when I saw a sticky note on my phone in his handwriting;

Changed the pin to your birthday.

Will be out for a while.

Adnan.