Chapter 35.

-ZAINAB SHAMAKI'S POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

Turns out the restaurant is closed for the day. And no, Hakeem didn't book the whole place. I don't know the full detail, but Mama Dee say they close the place once a week, and today is that day of the week.

Luckily for I and Hakeem though, she offered to get us whatever we want even if they are close. I guess you can say perks of being her babies as she likes to call us.

We took our usual table, even if it isn't the same booth we used to sit in back then. I couldn't even contain my happiness then, and I didn't want to. It feels nice to be this happy. I didn't even know I'm capable of feeling such emotion any more. But, here I am.

"The usual?" Hakeem asked, not sparing the menu a glance.

"They still have that?" I asked, though I hastily picked up the menu to check for my eyes.

"Well of course we do" Mama Dee answered, approaching the table. She placed a hand on my shoulder. "So, do you want that?"

I was quick to nod, because who would turn it down? I definitely wouldn't mind having it and being engulfed by the feeling of déjà vu all over again. I would need the whole package. "Definitely"

"Alright" She offered me a grin. "I'll be back in a jiffy" She then gave Hakeem a look that I didn't understand one bit before she turned around and left the two of us.

With her gone, my grin turned into a smile as my gaze fell on Hakeem. I narrowed my eyes at him slightly, as I leaned back on the chair and crossed my legs.

Hakeem arched a brow. "What?"

"Why did you bring me here, Hakeem?" Now with Mama Dee gone, I can finally ask him. "I doubt you brought me here for breakfast"

"And what if I did?"

"Huh?" Wait, is he for real?

He nodded, lips set into a tight smile. "What if I invited you out for breakfast?" He questioned, giving me a pointed look. "Because I'm certain you didn't eat anything"

How does he know that? Wait, Adnan couldn't have told him, right? I mean when I dropped by Adnan's place, it was pretty early. I didn't stay there for long, because I have matters to attend to so I went back to BlackAce to pick up what I need only to see him there.

I didn't eat breakfast at Adnan, because I'm not really a breakfast person—and he knows that. Well, any food but Mama Dee's. I wouldn't mind having her food all the time not just for breakfast.

I blinked, trying to make sense of what he just said. "You brought me here to really eat breakfast?" I repeated, just to be clear.

Is he for real?

Hakeem nodded, his expression feigning innocent. Or is it a real one? "Yes..." He stated. "...what do you expect?"

I don't know. I guess I was truly expecting something.

Smacking my lips together, I shook my head. I can't really say what I expect, since even I don't know what it is precisely. However, I guess it's better for me to keep my lips sealed. "Nothing"

"Albi--"

"And here's the usual!" Mama Dee interrupted whatever it is she wanted to say. She dropped a plate in front of me another in front of Hakeem. We both offered her a smile and thanked her, and with a wave of her hand, she disappeared yet again leaving us alone.

No words were exchanged between is, as we dug into the food. I couldn't wait, because it's been too long I'm practically salivating at the sight. My mind wasn't on Hakeem anymore, but on the food I plan on devouring. At first, I could feel his gaze on me and from the corner of my eyes, I could see he didn't make a move to eat his.