Chapter 46.

-THIRD PERSON POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

That was when everything truly started. Because after everything, the truth behind Kareem is like the light at the end of the tunnel. It gave them hope—right from Zainab, Hakeem, and even Rauf that wouldn't admit he was scared of hitting a dead end.

It was a sign that their efforts aren't in vain—and that things might actually end up in their favor. That's why when they got the message from Rauf saying he found the man with the last will, the two didn't want to waste a minute more to see who it was.

Anything that will help take down Azeez is truly important.

What neither of the two expected though was for the person with the will to be Kareem. It certainly took them by surprise—especially after figuring out he's still alive only a few hours ago.

Could it truly be a coincidence? Zainab couldn't help but wonder.

She has a string of questions running in her head, and she plans on getting the answer to them all.

"Wait a minute" She was quick to speak up, having recovered from her initial shock. Blowing out a breath, she blinked repeatedly and took a few steps into the room. "H-how are you alive?" She asked, a finger pointed at Kareem with her eyes wide open.

Kareem simply shrugged. "A miracle, I guess" He didn't know what else to tell her, because even he thought that day was the last for him.

She was quick to narrow her eyes at him though, not liking his answer and having remembered what happened the last time they were together. The memory and his eyes on her made her want to shudder, and perhaps, Hakeem could sense it too because almost immediately, he stepped forward and pushed her behind him only slightly.

Just like her, he had his eyes narrowed at the man. Except while she trying to not look affected, he was trying to not actually send the man on the bed to the afterlife. To think just earlier in the day, he was hoping the twerp is alive so he can beat him black and blue and alas...the man turned up later in the day.

Could this be his sign to take his chances and beat someone's child to pulp?

As tempting as it sounded, he held himself back knowing violence wouldn't do them any good. Especially not after realizing this man is important to them.

So, he took in a deep breath and leveled his expression. "Have you been here all this while?" He asked instead, wanting to determine just how much of a douchebag the man truly is.

If he has been here all this while, knowing what Zainab went through because of him then he definitely needs a punch or two.

Kareem rested his arms on his thighs, his eyes moving from Zainab's to Hakeem's steel ones. He visibly gulped. There is something intimidating about the Sunusi men and he truly doesn't want to be on the receiving end of whatever will go down. "I don't know" He answered truthfully.

Hakeem's head tilted to the side slightly, a single brow arched. "You don't know?" He repeated slowly, as if wanting the man to look him in the eyes and say it again.

Does he look stupid to him or something? Or does he think this is a joke?

Rauf, having sensed his brother's anger was quick to jump in—even though he would much rather see Hakeem vent off some anger on the man. He wouldn't mind if that will happen actually, especially after knowing what went down with Zainab. And no, she didn't tell him. Kareem himself spilled the beans when he raided the place earlier.

"He was seriously wounded, and has been in a coma for two months" Rauf said, almost lazily as he leaned on one of the walls—his legs supporting him. His eyes swept from Hakeem to Kareem who was looking anywhere but the olderSunusi's eyes. "I guess he was right when he said it's a miracle he survived. I spoke to his doctor and well, let's just say he would've been reunited with his ancestors' months ago otherwise" He rose his hand and make the throat slitting sign with a click of his tongue.