Chapter 29.

-THIRD PERSON POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

The Sultan's death, albeit expected, came as a shock to almost everyone. Even though they obviously know he's battling cancer, none expected for his death to be that soon.

The entire people of Maroudi felt the death of their beloved Sultan.

There's no doubt that the late Sultan was undeniably one of the best they ever had. He was a good man; anyone can testify to that. And if that isn't enough the people that came to his funeral were enough witness. Even those outside of Maroudi came for the janaizah.

He was that loved and respected.

The air in the palace was gloomy, as troops of people went in and out as they pay their condolence. The women went ahead to greet the Queens whom decided to accept the condolences in the Queen mother's chamber. They didn't want people to go through the struggle of going from one place to another.

And besides, the two women get along with no malice whatsoever—at least, none that they show to the public. So, they did present that united front.

Outside, the men paid their condolence to the royal relatives and the Princes. Azeez, albeit affected, did well to mask it. If anything, the expression he held was blank—the same one people know him with. Hakeem looks affected, but he did well to hide it. However, of the three brothers, he's the one interacting with people the most. Rauf on the other had had his lips sealed shut. He didn't even try to hide the fact that his father's death affected him.

Why should he?

And even though he responded to people's condolence well, he still gave off the 'leave me alone now' vibes. So, people didn't try to make long conversations with him.

Three days after the Sultan's death, the issue of who would take over was already being brought up. It was obvious the elders would choose who is more fitting of the three young men, but who?

At the same time, anticipation filled the air as people awaited the news. There is no telling when it involves this, so everyone can simply guess and wait. And that's what they are all doing.

"Rauf, can we talk?" Hakeem asked, the night of the third day. They had all just returned from praying Isha at the masjid, and as they strolled towards their various resting places, he chose the opportunity to speak to his younger brother.

Rauf turned his head to the side, throwing Hakeem a glance before he focused his gaze back on the path he's taking. "If you want to talk about the Sultan position, then I don't want to hear it" He stated lowly, as Hakeem caught up to him and strolled by his side. "Azeez already did the honor"

Hakeem's brows drew in. That isn't what he wanted to talk about. But now that Rauf brought it up... "Wait, Azeez spoke to you about the position?" He didn't mean to poke his nose, but this concerns the three of them. He wouldn't want to be left out.

"What do you expect?" Rauf asked in a dismissive tone. If it was anyone else, he wouldn't tell them what Azeez said. But, it's Hakeem and even though he's certain Azeez won't walk up to him and say it, he can only guess he wanted him to relay the message. "He wants me, or should I say us, to know he will be the next Sultan and that we shouldn't bother getting our hopes high" He scoffed at this, his tone turning bitter. "Can't believe he's thinking of that now"

To Rauf, it's just disrespectful to start making claims like that only three days after their father passed away. Did the death even affect Azeez?

Hakeem sighed, shaking his head slightly. He understood what Rauf meant. Between the three of them, they all know Azeez won't walk up to Hakeem and tell him that knowing how it'll end. Besides, it won't look good for them to create a scene in this situation. So, he told Rauf so he can relay the message indirectly.