Chapter 31.

THIRD PERSON POV-

Maroudi, Nigeria.

Zainab Shamaki donned an oxblood scuba crepe gown. The gown departs from its shape with a swoop of ruffles and gracefully ruched accents and the puff-topped elbow-length sleeves offering a tasteful arm coverage. It had a jewel neckline and a hidden back-zip closure that gave off a look of modesty since it didn't show off her skin nor was it tight.

Her face, albeit covered with makeup only highlighted her features—especially the lipstick that matched her gown. Although she didn't have much jewelry on, she still donned a pair of tear drop gold earrings, dotted with crystals of some sort.

This time around, her straight lob-cut hair was tied behind, leaving a few tendrils to cover the side of her face. As per the short person she is, she had a black Jimmy Choo Swaroviski and faux-pearl suede sandals.

One step after another, she descended the stairs leading to the hall where everyone is seated. Almost as if she's used to the attention—and she is, she didn't falter in her steps as she graciously held up a small smile.

It was obvious that quite a lot of people—especially those from Maroudi are taken aback by her appearance. And what did the announcer just say?

She is the owner of BlackAce?

How? The questions went through so many people's head, and there was no plausible explanation for it. At least, none that crossed their minds.

To everyone's knowledge, she had disappeared from the face of the earth. The people in Maroudi have concluded that she must've felt embarrassed by all the scandals she had back then that she decided to just run off and hide somewhere.

Even though it was proven that she is innocent.

People pay more heed to lies than the truth though, and it was the same for her.

But, there she is, walking into the hall as if she owned the place. And, she does.

The reporters there went crazy, snapping pictures as if their lives depended on it. If they weren't held back and secluded in a certain area, they would've swarmed her and no doubt, if they get the opportunity, they would do so.

For now, though, their flashes came from all angle, it was almost blinding. Not to mention, the eyes that were all fixated on her.

She didn't let it affect her though, as she walked towards the podium where the announcer held out the microphone for her. After all, she was supposed to be the one to open the event—it even says so in the list of activities for the day.

Even if she did arrive late, the floor still belongs to her.

And boy did she show them that it does.

The minute she took her spot on the podium, the man from earlier was quick to move away so she can have the space all to herself. For a few seconds, she didn't say a word and instead, moved her gaze round the room looking for two pair of eyes.

Her Uncle's and Azeez's.

Her gaze fell on Azeez first, and although he held up his blank look as always, there was something about his stance that told her he wasn't exactly as calm as he looks about the whole thing.

How could he when Zainab has showed up on a very important day, that too as the owner of the place he and Suraj made most of their plans?

The corner of her lips tilted upwards slightly into a smirk, as she moved her gaze from him only to find her Uncle, a couple of tables away from that of the Sunusi's. Unlike Azeez, he didn't, or rather, couldn't hide the fact that he's taken aback to see her.