Chapter 32: Tree House

As an experienced flying sword messenger, Lu Jia had gone to many places, many sects, and delivered letters and items for countless cultivators and ordinary mortals. He had been a nomad cultivator before. After his cultivation reached Core Formation, it had halted. He could not afford to buy expensive pills, so he could only join the postage office and become one of the flying sword messengers. Fortunately, cultivators respected and treated flying sword messengers well, not daring to rob them due to fear of offending the major sects. Two centuries ago, after a famed Mind Manifestation Forebear wrote a song praising them, their status in the cultivation world grew much higher. They were thought of as a beacon of hope, the shepherd of love and feeling.

The postage office specifically arranged for him, an experienced messenger, to come to Radiance Sect to deliver the packages. They feared that new flying sword messengers were inexperienced and could not keep their composure, showing timidity in front of Radiance Sect. When Lu Jia came to Radiance Sect, he felt that the postage office was correct in their decision. He felt his knees weaken facing those intimidating sword energies and the expressionless sword cultivators.

But even so, he kept his back straight and his legs steady. As a first-class flying sword messenger, he would not lose his dignity.

“These things are really mailed from this person you call Huan Zhong?” Jin Yue looked at the packages wrapped in canvas and securely tied. He moved his finger. One of the packages landed on his hand. Opening the package, he did not see any secret manuals nor rare medicines, but… dried meat?

“This is the famed honey meat of Mound City, sweet to the taste and chewy. This is a dish all foreign cultivators will order when they come to Mound City.” The flying sword messenger saw that everyone had strange expressions and thought that they worried that the food was unclear. While he respected and feared these people, he still did his best to fulfill his duties and explain, “Everyone, do not worry; our post office’s workers are moral, we pay great care to cleanliness during packaging, and we will not steal anything. This is the customer’s signature. Everyone, you can check the number and weight based on the content of the slip.”

“The person who sent these things is really called Huan Zhong?” Peak Master Song He who was sitting below could not help but ask again, “You did not misremember it?”

“Honored customers, please do not worry—we will not give out incorrect information,” Lu Jia said. “Please believe in our abilities.”

The entire hall sank into silence. Jin Yue signed his own name on the confirmation slip. “Thank you, Messenger.”

“You are welcome.” Receiving the confirmation slip, Lu Jia did not want to stay here longer. He left the hall and jumped onto the flying sword, leaving Radiance Sect without turning his head back. He felt too much pressure speaking with these sword cultivators. Staying long was not good for his lifespan.

“Sect Master, do you think there are any hidden meanings here?” Song He flipped through the products again and again. He did not find any special signs on them. “Or did something happen in Mound City?”

Jin Yue’s brow furrowed. “Send a disciple to Mound City to investigate.”

“I will arrange it immediately.” Song He stood up and hurriedly walked away. He worried if he was slow, something irreversible would happen.

On Splendid Cloud Sect’s training grounds, the inner sect disciples were teaching the new disciples preliminary sword moves. They saw a flying sword messenger being led into the main hall by a disciple of Five Elements Hall and speculated who had sent things to the sect master.

The new disciples saw the inner sect shixiong and shimei secretly talking by the side and felt curious.

When evening came, they learned that the apprentice shijie of Moon Perching Peak had sent local specialty products to the sect master, peak masters and apprentices. They even got a few pieces of Mound City’s special dried meat in their meal this evening.