Chapter 97: Not Angry

“The palace gates have opened!”

The imperial guards and servants who had been waiting outside the palace for several days saw the gates open, and moved to the sides to welcome the immortals out.

Kong Hou saw everyone by the gates when she came out. “Everyone, you worked hard recently.”

No one had expected Immortal Kong Hou to speak to them and they shook their heads excitedly. “Immortal, you are too polite.”

They would remember today and record this into their family records. This would be enough to boast about for centuries.

Kong Hou was dressed in a grand dress, her hair also made up specially. She was leaving this world today. She had come with grandeur, and she would leave with grandeur as well. When passing by the imperial guards, Kong Hou stopped and said to the imperial guard captain, “Thank you, Official and the imperial guards, for driving away the pests for me.”

“Immortal has done much for the people, and these small ones can do very little for Immortal.” The imperial guard captain was shocked. He had not thought that Immortal Kong Hou would know what they had done as she had stayed inside the entire time. “It is our honor to help Immortal.”

Kong Hou’s gaze moved across them. “I see three among you who have hidden wounds. Were you injured?”
The captain was shocked. The fellow soldiers who had worked for Immortal Kong Hou this time had all experienced hardship. His Majesty had been on the throne for ten years and encountered several assassinations. Some from the imperial guards had died, others had been wounded. This was normal. He had not expected Immortal Kong Hou to see at a glance.

Kong Hou waved her sleeve and sent three streams of spirit energy into the blocked meridians of the three imperial guards. She said with a smile, “I have been in the mortal world some days, so it is time to return.”

“Immortal…” The captain of the guard had not expected Kong Hou to suddenly mention departure. He was speechless for a long time. He didn’t know if he should try to keep her or respect Immortal’s intentions and send her away. He peeked at the two immortals behind Immortal Kong Hou. One was like a bare blade people did not dare to look at. The other was like a tiger that people did not dare disrespect.

“Please wait.” Emperor Jinghong walked over followed by the empress, crown prince, and the major officials of the six ministries. After the Ji Dynasty was overthrown, Kong Hou had spent almost four years as a puppet princess but had not communicated much with Emperor Jinghong.

She and this emperor could be called familiar strangers.

“Thank you, Immortal, for not holding the past against us and saving the people of the world.” Emperor Jinghong neatened his clothing, then lifted them and knelt down to Kong Hou. He remembered when he had taken the world, he had made Kong Hou kneel like this. At the time, he had felt the Ji Family was full of sin. They should not just kneel to him, but also to the people of the world.

But now Kong Hou had saved the tens of thousands of people in the world. Even if he was the emperor, he should kneel to Kong Hou.

“Your Majesty does not have to be so.” Kong Hou lifted a hand to stop Emperor Jinghong and did not allow his knees to touch the ground. “I saved the people because the Ji Family owes the people, and I cannot watch as the people are in pain and hardship. When I leave this world, Your Majesty, do not treat the Ji Family specially because of me. The land and the people are the most important. I hope Your Majesty and the crown prince will not forget why your overthrew the Ji Dynasty.”

Emperor Jinghong bowed again. “I will remember.”

“I have ended my karma and cannot easily come to the mortal world any longer.” Kong Hou turned to look at the grand palace and memorized its appearance. “I hope the people of the world will not endure more war and plague, that they will have good weather and peaceful lives.”