Chapter 36: Trance

“I am a few years older than you.” The wind outside blew. When Huan Zhong said this, his mind was slightly dazed. He did not even know why he would say such a thing.

“Whoa, I cannot see it. I feel you are just a bit older than me.” Looking at Huan Zhong’s face which seemed about twenty-something years old, Kong Hou thought of the saying “no age in cultivation.” Ordinary people had a longevity of a few decades, and their mental state and thinking would change, not to mention people hundreds of years old.

In this moment, she seemed to have comprehended something but still did not understand.

“Kong Hou minds greatly that I am older than you?” Huan Zhong bent his head, and even his hair and eyelashes seemed to be melancholy.

When a beauty was melancholic, the effect was great. In this moment, Kong Hou was filled with regret. She felt that she had mentioned something she should not. “No, Huan Zhong, do not misunderstand. I do not mind this. All my shixiong and shijie are one or two hundred years older than me. We play together well—age is not a problem. I will not dislike you!”

While she had only interacted with Huan Zhong for a few short days, Huan Zhong was a good friend. He would share storybooks, beautiful treehouses, and news about the cultivation world with her, and he was so good-looking.

With such a good-looking face, who cared how old he was?

“Master, we’ve arrived at the inn.” Lin Hu lifted the curtain halfway and his gaze landed on Huan Zhong. Huan Zhong did not meet his gaze as he elegantly leaned back against the cushions. “Go reserve rooms. Kong Hou and I will immediately come.”

Lin Hu moved his gaze away and put down the curtain. His voice came from outside. “All right, Master.”

The curtain swayed slightly. Huan Zhong looked at the glass bead fringe at the bottom of the curtain and slowly blinked his eyes. Lifting the curtain, he walked off the carriage. He looked around, and then said to Kong Hou who was getting off the carriage, “The conditions here are not great.”

“When travelling, one should not be so picky.” Kong Hou jumped off the carriage, and her feet sank into the snow. She lifted her foot and heard the sound of the wind blowing on cloth. An old cloth banner flew from a wooden tower on the left with its gates locked. She did not know how long ago it had been washed as it was so dirty she could not read the characters on it.

A feeling of desolateness filled the entire street.

“Noble guests, please come inside.” The greeter came out. He wanted to lead the horses away, but before he could come close, the horses started to whinny. He leapt backwards in fright and did not dare to move.

The greeter’s clothing was patched but clean. His gaze seemed extremely careful, as though he worried the guests would leave immediately if they were discontent. He was not wearing thick clothes. His cloth shoes were already wet in the snow. His hands and skin that were exposed outside his clothes were blue, but he didn’t dare to rub his hands together to get warm.

“No matter. These two horses are obedient and will not run away.” Kong Hou looked at the shoes he wore. “Take us in to see the rooms.”

“All right, noble guests.” The greeter stepped through the door. The large hall was cold, with only a few guests eating. The light of the oil lamps was dim and flickered in the wind coming through the door.

Maybe because the hall was so deserted, the guests inside all raised their heads when they saw other guests come in. They relied on observing strangers to pass the time. But when they looked, they inhaled in shock. Such a handsome gentleman, such a beautiful girl. Which little couple came out to play and ended up here?