Chapter 136: Path Companion

Jin Yue looked back and saw Kong Hou who was standing with his apprentice. He did not have time to speak before Wang Su changed his mind. “Never mind.” The evil cultivator world was making petty maneuvers repeatedly, and he had to be careful.

Guessing that Wang Su did not plan on exposing the opportunity Kong Hou had gotten, Jin Yue was relieved. Having too much fame was not a good thing for the young girl.

##

The passing away of Spirit Master Hong Yan was a great loss to the entire cultivation world. The female cultivators who were usually dressed grandly took off their multicolored dresses to put on plain garments, and wore no jewelry.

Wang Su looked at these cultivators standing outside the hall with sorrowful expressions. His expression changed slightly.

Hong Yan’s body had been placed in the Brave Spirit Hall of Radiance Sect. This was the memorial hall for the ancestors of Radiance Sect. Hong Yan being able to sleep here showed Radiance Sect’s respect and sincerity.

The disciples of Moon Star Sect knelt outside the memorial hall. There were no tears or sobs, just a speechless silence.

Wang Su’s arrival did not cause their emotions to turn for the better. They changed direction and bowed to Wang Su.
“I have come… to take Sect Master Hong Yan home.” Wang Su walked into the memorial hall. He looked at Hong Yan who was inside a jade coffin and put a hand on the lid.

Kong Hou saw that Wang Su’s hand was trembling slightly even though his expression hadn’t changed and even his tone was emotionless. For some inexplicable reason, she felt an indescribable sorrow. She didn’t know if she was saddened by Moon Star Sect’s fate, or for Spirit Master Hong Yan’s entire life.

She turned to look at the nearby Quiet Peace Temple monks. These monks had their palms together as they silently recited the Rebirth Mantra. Their expressions were sincere and benevolent.

Spirit Master Yuan Chen had not worn his kasaya today. He stood at the front of the monks, his hands holding the buddhist beads. His eyes were like a vast ocean, calm but containing limitless emotions.

Kong Hou thought, maybe Spirit Master Yuan Chen was also sad inside.

The coffin lid slowly closed. Spirit Master Hong Yan finally received her peace. Wang Su lit up a stick of incense and bowed three times towards the coffin. “Eight transcendents carry the coffin.”

Four male and four female accomplished sect disciples bent to carry the jade coffin. They shouted in unison, “Sect Master, return to the sect!”

“Sect Master, return to your honored sect!”

The smoke of the incense spun above the hall, around the jade coffin, and then disappeared into the air. Hong Yan’s soul seemed to hear their call and returned to their side.

“One step, the Universe.”

The eight disciples took their first step.

“The second step, yinyang.”

A second step.

“Three for all beings.”

After ten steps, the jade coffin was carried out of the hall. Wang Su summoned a jade boat covered in white flowers that all looked lifelike. This did not look like a funeral ship but a flower ship.

The jade coffin slowly floated onto the ship. Wang Su looked back at everyone. “Thank you, Path Friends, for your company. Farewell.”

“We respectfully send Spirit Master Hong Yan back to her sect.” Kong Hou bowed deeply and Huan Zhong, who stood next to her, also bowed.