Chapter 127: Pearl

“If Sect Master Jin Yue is not willing, never mind.” Hong Yan stood and sneered. “Sect Master Jin Yue does not have to worry about other things.”

She paused when she passed Huan Zhong. “If being together with the girl you love damages your cultivation and you cannot ascend, are you still willing?”

“If I am together with her, I will be happy without ascension. If I do not have her, what is the meaning in ascension?” Huan Zhong bowed. “This junior appreciates Spirit Master’s goodwill, but forgive this junior for not accepting.”

Hong Yan’s gaze changed multiple times as she looked at him in anger and sorrow. She turned and said coolly, “Think more about it. If you regret it, come find me.”

“This junior will not regret.” Huan Zhong answered slowly, not like a young boy rushing to make an oath, but like a choice made after great thought.

Hong Yan ignored him and walked out of the hall. Outside the hall, the silver moonlight shone on the ground. One person had been standing there for an unknown amount of time, his bright head reflecting the moonlight.

Seeing Hong Yan exit, he lifted his head. “Spirit Master Hong Yan.”

“It is late—why is Grand Master still here?” Hong Yan’s red mantle flew in the wind, bright yet lonely.
“This destitute monk is waiting for Spirit Master.” Grand Master Yuan Chen did not mind Hong Yan’s coldness. He followed behind Hong Yan. “Spirit Master, while fate is determined by the heavens, it can also change. Maybe Spirit Master Zhong Xi’s fate has already changed.”

Spirit Master Hong Yan slowly walked forward and did not speak for a long time. Just as Yuan Chen thought she would not speak, Hong Yan said, “Spirit Master Zhong Xi’s fate is connected to the heavenly path. When we divined his fate in the past, Shixiong and I were in seclusion for more than a decade before we recovered. The fate of someone like this will not be easily changed.

“Maybe the one with a problem is not Zhong Xi, but the entire cultivation world.” Hong Yan looked up at the sky with the moon and sparse stars. “The heavens will not allow the cultivation world to have a chance at ascension. Our struggle is useless.”

“Have you ever thought that someone else with a fate similar to Spirit Master Zhong Xi will be born?” Yuan Chen looked down, still with a benevolent expression.

“Regardless of just how rare a person like that is, those with a heavenly fate will easily die young. If there really is someone like this, the cultivation world would have detected them already.” Hong Yan’s corners of the mouth drooped. She appeared exceptionally cold. “If the heavenly fate could be changed so easily, how could it be called a heavenly fate?”

Yuan Chen wanted to say something but stopped. He looked at Hong Yan for a long time. “Spirit Master Hong Yan, back then…”

“It is late.” Hong Yan looked at Yuan Chen with a gaze of unmelting ice. “Grand Master, goodbye.”

Yuan Chen put his hands together. “Please.”

Hong Yan returned to her residence and saw her disciples waiting for her. “If I am late to return in the future, do not wait for me. Rest early.”

“Yes.” The disciples silently left.

Lian Qiao, who walked at the rear, looked at her master who had a frosty expression. She gathered her courage and stopped walking. She turned towards Hong Yan and said, “Master, this apprentice has something to tell Master.”

“Tell me tomorrow.” Hong Yan frowned slightly. “Leave.”

“Yes…” Her courage disappeared under Hong Yan’s indifferent gaze. She left with a lowered head, her palms cold.