Chapter 4

"Who is it?"

Cheng Xuan blinked quickly twice, her mind struggling to keep up. She suddenly felt her face turn hot and a thin layer of sweat broke out on the back of her neck.

Various emotions churned inside her as she belatedly realized that the girl in front of her was the esteemed tenant who had rented the entire second floor, and her hand instinctively reached up to cover half her face with the brim of her cap.

"My little flower," came a buzzing voice suddenly.

Cheng Xuan was momentarily stunned. Looking down, she saw a pitiful little goose-yellow flower lying on the ground, its petals covered in dirt.

"Oh..." she murmured, about to pick up the flower.

A hand stopped her. "It's okay, just leave it there," the girl said, tilting her head and smiling at Cheng Xuan. "Besides, I already gave you the hat."

Cheng Xuan's face grew even hotter, and she quickly pushed the hat back on her head. "I don't want it," she said.

"Take it, and be sure to protect yourself from the sun," the girl replied casually, her chestnut eyes brightening as she noticed the scattered papers and parts around Cheng Xuan. "Are you a summer intern too? Is this hard for you?"

Cheng Xuan held the hot grass hat in her hands, feeling dazed. She had only caught the last part of the girl's question.

"Not really," she replied in a low voice.

"Okay, good," Yao Yanyan said, smiling and resting her chin on her arm.

She had run away from home for this trip, so apart from Zheng Shu, she hadn't brought any of the servants from her family's household.

When she arrived, there wasn't anyone available to hire except for daily laborers through Zheng Shu.

Yesterday, there had been a child as big as the girl in front of her who came to help move boxes. Yao Yanyan didn't think much of it and had even asked, "What do you want to eat for dinner? We have people to cook for us."

The girl in front of her had taken a long time to respond with a muffled, "I'm not hungry."

"Why not?" Yao Yanyan asked, slightly surprised as she moved her chin away from her arm.

Why would a daily laborer refuse a meal?

As she was wondering, Zheng Shu came running up from behind, holding a bag of ice cream. "Young miss, I'm here," he said.

"Oh." Yao Yanyan stood up and stepped aside, saying to the girl on the ground, "I had someone buy some ice cream for you. Go ahead and pick out what you want."

Zheng Shu approached and placed the plastic bag in front of Cheng Xuan, glancing down and suddenly freezing as he asked, "Have I met you before?"

Cheng Xuan looked up, and Zheng Shu almost immediately recognized her. He was both surprised and delighted. "It's you!" he exclaimed.

"Who?" Yao Yanyan asked. "A relative of yours?"

"In response to Miss's question, no," Zheng Shu's face changed magically. "This little girl is the one who gave us directions last time when I was unsure of the route."

"Oh..." Yao Yanyan followed his words and recalled the night they went to Fengkang Town. It seemed that someone did give them directions.

The voice was also like that, muffled, slightly deeper than a normal female voice.

"Are you the daughter of this family?" Zheng Shu asked.

Yao Yanyan: ?

Yao Yanyan widened her eyes, looking at the girl in front of her in shock as she nodded her head.