Chapter 16

As Yao Yanyan was coming down the stairs, Chen Huishu and her group had just finished their meal.

Cheng Xianshun cleaned up the table and went back to do hee homework, leaving Chen Huishu and Cheng Shibao alone to enjoy their parent-child time.

"Bao'er, did you have a tiring day at school today?" Chen Huishu picked up Cheng Shibao and held his hand, examining his fingernails in the light to see if there was any dirt in them.

"I'm not tired. I want to go back and play games." Cheng Shibao was impatient and pushed her face away.

Chen Huishu wasn't angry at all. She was about to continue playing with her son when Yao Yanyan ruthlessly interrupted their happy parent-child time.

"Good evening, old aunty." Yao Yanyan leaned against the doorframe and tilted her head, hugging her arms and looking at her.

Chen Huishu held her son and frowned, "What do you want?"

Yao Yanyan smirked inwardly and gained a new understanding of Chen Huishu's snobbery: "I want to talk to you about Cheng Xuan."

"What about her? What did she do this time?" Chen Huishu disliked the sound of Cheng Xuan's name.

"I found a summer job for Cheng Xuan." Yao Yanyan tapped her forehead lightly with her finger.

"A job?" Chen Huishu frowned, looking incredulous.

"Yes, a job. She's a student, so she'll need time for studying every day. I'll personally tutor her after work, do you have any objections?"

Chen Huishu asked what she cared about, "How much can she earn in a month with the job you found for her? Can she make two thousand?"

Yao Yanyan's eyes carried a hint of cold laughter, "Yes."

"That's fine," Chen Huishu said, "She's just staying at home anyway, so it's better for her to go out and earn money. Otherwise, we're just supporting her for nothing... it's also good for her to go out and see the world."

Yao Yanyan sneered inwardly and continued to negotiate with her, "But if Cheng Xuan starts working, you can't keep ordering her around to do this and that..."

"What?" Chen Huishu interrupted her, displeased, "Why not?"

"Because Cheng Xuan is a student, as I mentioned before. I am responsible for tutoring her after she finishes her work. As an exchange, Cheng Xuan's salary will be given to you. What do you think?" Yao Yanyan explained, tapping her fingertips lightly on the table.

Chen Huishu was tempted by the sweet deal offered by Yao Yanyan, but did not take the bait. "What classes does she need to take? She doesn't need to take any. As the eldest sister, she should be helping out at home after work." With a cautious expression, she added, "You're not trying to cheat us out of tutoring fees, are you? We don't have money! Cheng Xuan earns her money and can't give any of it to you!"

Yao Yanyan couldn't help but laugh at her words.

She was so poor that she was trying to squeeze tutoring fees out of Cheng Xuan. "You're thinking too much. I'm doing this for Cheng Xuan out of kindness. She's a good seed and studying hard to get into college will only benefit your family."

Chen Huishu wasn't buying it. "What does it have to do with me whether she gets into college or not? The most important thing for a girl is to marry into a good family."

Yao Yanyan smiled. "That just shows that your vision is limited. Many families hope for their children to achieve success, but you're cutting off Cheng Xuan's wings. It's like digging your own grave. Delaying Cheng Xuan's progress is delaying your own family's progress. You're Cheng Xuan's mother. If she succeeds, she won't ignore you. What do you think?"