Chapter 32

Ignoring the furious Chen Huishu behind her, Cheng Xuan took two quick steps and bypassed her, going up the stairs.

Her heart was pounding rapidly, separated by layers of flesh and blood.

It was as if the vitality that belonged exclusively to young boys had once again fallen upon the young girl. Strange emotions gradually enveloped her, and the enduring darkness and restraint seemed to have disappeared at this moment.

She was now going crazy, wanting to see Yao Yanyan.

Her footsteps echoed loudly on the stairs. As she stepped onto the final step, she took a breath, and the cool breeze from the air conditioner brushed against her sweaty forehead and the back of her neck.

Cheng Xuan raised her head, and her eyes immediately found the person she wanted to see.

Yao Yanyan was sitting in a dim light, perhaps not having left the house for a few days. She was wearing a white camisole nightgown, her long hair not as neatly arranged as usual, hanging like mist behind her. Her two slender white arms supported a book, and she was engrossed in reading, unaware that Cheng Xuan had come up.

Cheng Xuan stood still, looking at her for two seconds, and called out, "Sister."

Yao Yanyan's body trembled, seemingly startled, her amber eyes glanced sideways and she smiled brightly, "You're back," she greeted Cheng Xuan, motioning her to come over, "Are you hungry?"

"Not hungry," Cheng Xuan listened to her words and lowered her gaze, seeing the book she had been reading.

The cover showed a fierce-looking woman with blood all over her, and there were four eerie words above: "Ghost Road".

Cheng Xuan felt stifled, and Yao Yanyan followed her gaze and smiled, "A chilling summer story, want to read it?"

"Not interested," Cheng Xuan refused.

"Okay," Yao Yanyan held up the book and lay back on the sofa, suddenly exclaiming, "Oh!"

"Why didn't you take off your backpack? And you haven't changed out of your school uniform, aren't you hot?"

Only then did Cheng Xuan notice that she had come up fully "equipped".

Her face suddenly felt hot, as if she had been seen through something, she murmured that she wasn't hot, lowered her head, and went to the bathroom to wash her hands before coming out.

The two of them had dinner, and Yao Yanyan remained focused on her chilling summer story.

As long as Cheng Xuan raised her eyes, she could meet the bloody ghost face on the cover.

Cheng Xuan: "......"

She put down her chopsticks and called softly, "Sister?"

Yao Yanyan was startled, her hand trembled, and the ghost on the cover also seemed to shake. "What's wrong?"

Cheng Xuan choked, "...Let's eat, okay?"

"You don't have to worry about me," Yao Yanyan said, "I'll eat on my own when I'm hungry. You go ahead and eat."

Cheng Xuan remained silent, locking eyes with the female ghost for a moment before bowing her head and eating her own meal.

Yao Yanyan still didn't put down the book until they finished eating.

"Goodbye, sleep tight," she said, her voice sweet as she bid farewell.

"Goodnight, sleep early," Cheng Xuan replied, glancing at her one last time before heading downstairs with her backpack.