Chapter 17

When the two of them returned home, Chen Huishu was about to take her child to a tutoring class.

Having woken up early, she was in a bad mood.

When she saw Cheng Xuan come back, she scowled and left with the child, slamming the door behind her.

Yao Yanyan was a bit unhappy and muttered, "What's going on?"

She raised her eyelids and saw that Cheng Xuan didn't react at all and asked her as if nothing had happened, "What do you want to eat?"

Yao Yanyan blinked twice and said, "Anything is fine. I'll eat whatever you make."

Cheng Xuan pursed her lips, always worried that Yao Yanyan had too high expectations of her cooking and would be disappointed. She explained in advance, "...my cooking is only average."

"It's okay." Yao Yanyan smiled. "I'll try it."

Cheng Xuan thought for a moment and chose the quickest option, "How about noodle soup?"

"Okay, put an egg in mine," Yao Yanyan said, taking small steps to the dining room and sitting down to wait for dinner.

This was the first time Cheng Xuan had personally cooked and entertained someone in her home.

Thinking of the girl's joyful and expectant look earlier, Cheng Xuan was nervous and afraid of not performing well. She was even more careful when cutting the onions.

The Cheng family's dining room was cleverly designed, with a wooden partition separating the kitchen. It seemed to be carved by Cheng Xuan herself, but the carvings were not very detailed and a bit rough.

Yao Yanyan asked, "Did you make this partition yourself?"

Cheng Xuan turned on the exhaust hood. Their exhaust hood had been used for many years and made a particularly loud noise. Cheng Xuan turned her head and shouted loudly, "Yes."

It was the first time Yao Yanyan had heard her speak so loudly and it was a bit refreshing. Her voice was usually deep and steady, with a hint of coldness. Even when she raised her voice, it didn't have the shrillness that a young girl would have.

Yao Yanyan enjoyed listening to her talk and asked, "Who made it?"

Cheng Xuan turned her back to her and said, "My dad."

"Oh," Yao Yanyan didn't ask any further. There were no good memories between Cheng Xuan and her family, so she didn't want to step on any landmines.

After a while, the range hood was turned off by Cheng Xuan, and the silence returned. Cheng Xuan brought two bowls of noodle soup, and placed one in front of Yao Yanyan.

Yao Yanyan lowered her head. The soup smelled very fragrant, and there were neatly arranged green onions on top, as if the chef had done it intentionally.

Yao Yanyan couldn't help but smile and didn't reveal her attention to detail. She took the chopsticks and started eating.

"It's delicious!" Yao Yanyan said to Cheng Xuan with sparkling eyes.

Cheng Xuan visibly relaxed her shoulders and said, "Is it?"

"Yes, it is!" Yao Yanyan really thought Cheng Xuan was good at cooking.

After the two finished eating, Zheng Shu arrived.

He wore sunglasses and a black short-sleeved shirt, revealing his muscular arms.

He stood at the door, blocking all the sunlight. "Miss, I'm here."

"Okay." Yao Yanyan touched up her lipstick and said to Cheng Xuan, "Let's go."