Chapter 24

It was already late at night, the room was quiet, and only the faint sound of the air conditioning could be heard.

Yao Yanyan tossed and turned in bed, unable to fall asleep.

She was usually expressionless when watching horror movies, only feeling scared afterwards.

But now, as soon as she closed her eyes, the terrifying face of a female ghost would automatically appear in her mind.

When she opened her eyes, the white curtains swaying in front of the window made her heart race.

Yao Yanyan bit her lip and swallowed, looking at the swaying curtains.

She thought to herself that she would ask Zheng Shu to quickly replace these creepy curtains tomorrow.

She buried her head in the blanket until she couldn't breathe, then suddenly sat up, turned on the night light, and grabbed her phone.

It was already 11:30.

She scrolled through short videos for half an hour but still couldn't fall asleep, and was afraid to turn off the light.

Sighing, Yao Yanyan switched to WeChat and saw Cheng Xuan's name, and without thinking, clicked into the chat.

She must be asleep at this hour, she thought.

But she still sent a crying emoticon.

After sending it, she was about to lie back down when her phone suddenly rang. Yao Yanyan jumped and looked at her phone.

Cheng Xuan: [?]

Yao Yanyan was surprised, and typed: [Aren't you asleep?]

....

Cheng Xuan saw her message and nervously glanced at the cardboard box filled with papers: [Hmm.]

Cheng Xuan's room didn't have a desk, so she had to write her homework on top of the box, using a small chair that only a child would sit in, which was the one Cheng Xianshun used when she was young.

Cheng Xuan sat on it somewhat unsteadily, but she had been making do with it for many years.

Yao Yanyan anxiously looked at her phone.

Before giving her the papers, she clearly told her not to stay up late to do them.

She suddenly received a message from her, wondering if she had discovered her intentions to cheat.

But she had fallen into her trap so easily.

Yao Yanyan didn't feel happy. Cheng Xuan typed slowly: "I'm writing an exam."

Just as she had typed three characters, the second message from the other side arrived: [Are you also scared by horror movies? (crying emoticon)]

Cheng Xuan blinked and turned off the light, lying back on the bed. She spent a long time revising and finally typed one word: [Mm.]

After sending the message, she buried her head in her arms in embarrassment.

...She had lied to her.

The phone in her hand vibrated and Cheng Xuan sat up.

[yyy: Wah, I can't sleep.]

Cheng Xuan boldly replied: [Me neither.]

After typing for a while, the other side asked: [Do you want to make a phone call?]

A phone call?

Cheng Xuan looked upstairs.

Do they still need to make a phone call if they are already living under the same roof?