Chapter 29

Cheng Xuan clearly saw the redness in her eyes and stood there almost at a loss.

She had a faint understanding of why the girl was shedding tears, but deep down, she couldn't believe it.

It wasn't until she watched the tears fall from the girl's eyes that it felt like those drops of tears hit her heart directly, causing ripples to stir in her long-stagnant heart.

She didn't know why Yao Yanyan was crying.

These hardships were commonplace for her, and enduring them for so long made her feel numb to the pain.

But when Yao Yanyan cried, she felt inexplicably sad. She awkwardly used her fingers to wipe away her tears.

The girl's fair cheeks were as tender as tofu. Her rough hands, hardened by years of labor, regretted touching the girl's cheeks, as if she shouldn't have done so.

Little did she know that her actions only made the girl cry even harder.

Yao Yanyan, sensitive as she was, felt embarrassed. She wiped her tears and turned her head away, calming herself before saying, "Cheng Xuan."

Her voice still carried a slight sob, and Cheng Xuan curled her fingers slightly, responding, "Hmm?"

"Is there a mall nearby? Today, I'll take you to buy some things, like stationery and clothes."

Cheng Xuan immediately refused, "I don't need..."

Yao Yanyan knew she would refuse, so she didn't give her a chance. She turned her face, her eyes reddened, and stared at her, saying, "You may not need it, but I don't care. Today, I will definitely take you to buy."

As the words fell, feeling that it wasn't strong enough, she added sternly, "You're not allowed to refuse!"

Her sudden dominance almost choked Cheng Xuan, who reacted with a furrowed brow. Her dark eyes stared straight at Yao Yanyan.

Yao Yanyan met her gaze, fully understanding the meaning behind Cheng Xuan's eyes.

That was Cheng Xuan's silent resistance.

But she didn't care. If she followed Cheng Xuan's wishes in everything, she would be tormented by guilt and unable to sleep at night.

"Let's go, come with me." Yao Yanyan pulled the resistant Cheng Xuan, resembling a criminal being dragged away. Suddenly, she noticed something and exclaimed, "Hey?"

Cheng Xuan was startled and followed her gaze, seeing the small straw hat hanging on the wall.

It was a beautiful little straw hat, exceptionally conspicuous in the dim room.

It was the first thing Yao Yanyan had given her, and she cherished it by hanging it on the wall. Even the two small wildflowers on the hat remained intact, though they had dried up. They had transformed from fresh flowers to dried ones.

Yao Yanyan felt delighted and turned her gaze to Cheng Xuan, smiling. "You still kept it."

Her voice carried a smile, and Cheng Xuan was momentarily stunned.

She blushed as she realized her cheeks were heating up.

She didn't know what kind of emotion this was, but she felt like everything about herself had been laid bare by Yao Yanyan.

In that instant, she wished she could dig a hole and bury herself.

Fortunately, Cheng Xuan had a slightly darker complexion, and Yao Yanyan didn't notice anything.

She was accustomed to Cheng Xuan's sparing use of words and only sighed a few words about it before pulling Cheng Xuan out of the room.

Yao Yanyan called Zheng Shu and asked him to take them to the nearby mall in the neighboring county.