Chapter 31

At five o'clock in the morning, the sky was slightly brightening.

Yao Yanyan turned off the alarm clock and got out of bed, walking dazedly towards the door.

As soon as she opened the door, she saw a slender figure standing quietly by the living room window in the dim blue light, gazing downwards.

Yao Yanyan was startled and realized who it was. She turned on the lights and said, "Cheng Xuan?"

The girl standing by the window turned her head slightly. Her long black hair cascaded down from her shoulders, and her pair of pitch-black eyes swept lightly from the corners, initially carrying a hint of stagnation. But when their gazes met, everything suddenly became clear.

"...Sister," she called her.

Yao Yanyan looked at her, seemingly a bit stunned.

It had been a long time since she had carefully observed Cheng Xuan's appearance in poor lighting.

After one summer had passed, Cheng Xuan had become fairer, and her cheeks were no longer sunken.

The girl, after breaking free from the obvious suffering, had become as sharp as a unsheathed knife, impossible to ignore.

She wasn't wearing the complete school uniform.

Just before the start of school, Yao Yanyan learned that Cheng Xuan's family had never bought her a high school uniform.

There wasn't enough time to have one custom-made, so after some twists and turns, the school had sent over a ready-made one.
Fortunately, the size was still suitable. The oversized black and white school uniform jacket paired with the white short-sleeved shirt and black pants looked good on her.

Yao Yanyan smiled. She liked the youthful aura emanating from Cheng Xuan.

After turning on the lights, the two of them had breakfast.

Cheng Xuan had to get up early for school, and Yao Yanyan was afraid that she would go on an empty stomach. So she directly called her to eat upstairs, which also allowed her to change her habit of staying in bed.

But she was still sleepy, drinking the watery rice porridge without even realizing that her hair was about to fall into the bowl.

Cheng Xuan remained silent for a moment, then quickly and gently held her head that was tilting.

"Mmm..." Yao Yanyan woke up, still groggy, and complained in a soft voice, "I'm so sleepy."

Cheng Xuan couldn't stand it when she acted like this and lowered her voice, unable to control herself, "Then go back to sleep for a while."

"Okay." She was like a little cat, rubbing her warm cheek against Cheng Xuan's palm and saying, "Have a good day at school."

"Yeah." Cheng Xuan pursed her lips, her cheeks turning warm. She watched Yao Yanyan get up and only let go of her hand when she went back to her room. After finishing her own portion, she went downstairs.

A layer of pale light was appearing in the sky. Cheng Xuan hurriedly ran out of the door and saw that her bicycle was still in its place, not taken away by someone else, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

Yao Yanyan had bought it for her as a back-to-school gift.

Cheng Xuan arrived at the school shortly after, with the distinctive pink bicycle catching everyone's attention as she pushed it through the school gate.

"Isn't that Cheng Xuan from Class Three?" someone recognized her.

"Oh my, didn't her house get demolished? She looks completely different now."