Chapter 8

The sound of rain grew louder.

Chen Huishu walked to the entrance of a shop and stared fixedly with wide eyes, her expression dazed.

It wasn't until someone inside called out to her, "Hey, isn't that your eldest daughter?" that Chen Huishu snapped out of her reverie.

Amused by her own strange thoughts just now, Chen Huishu watched as the two women approached under the rain, and then shouted through the downpour, "Cheng Xuan!"

The two under the umbrella stopped in their tracks. Yao Yanyan furrowed her brow and glanced towards the entrance of the shop, feeling somewhat troubled.

She looked at Cheng Xuan, who was also looking at her. After a moment, Cheng Xuan spoke up: "I'll go ahead, you go back first, sister."

Hearing Cheng Xuan address her as "sister," Yao Yanyan was momentarily stunned.

She wanted to say something, but before she could, the silly girl had already rushed out from under the umbrella and darted into the rain, agilely disappearing into the curtains of water.

She didn't even let her send her off.

Yao Yanyan was at a loss for words.

Chen Huishu watched as Cheng Xuan ran into the rain from under the shelter, getting drenched all over and looking completely bedraggled. She inexplicably felt a sense of satisfaction in her heart.

Cheng Xuan walked into the shop completely soaked, leaving a trail of wet footprints on the ground.

Chen Huishu wrinkled her brow, afraid that the shop owner wouldn't be happy. "Alright, just stand at the door!"

Cheng Xuan heard her and stood still at the entrance.

The shop was filled with a pungent smell, like a tightly wrapped alchemy furnace.

The smell of sweat and smoke mingled in the small dark room, where a large round table was placed in the empty space and surrounded by people.

The sound of mahjong clashing almost drowned out the sound of the rain outside.

Chen Huishu's accusations came flying at her: "What are you doing out here?"

"Where's your younger brother? Isn't he home?"

Cheng Xuan didn't say a word, just kept her head bowed low.

She had never understood why people would get angry for no reason. She only knew that in situations like this, anything she said would be wrong.

Of course, not saying anything was also wrong.

Chen Huishu glared at Cheng Xuan with an angry expression, "Don't you have a mouth? Are you dumb?"

Chen Huishu shouted at her, "Say something!"

The rain grew heavier, but it couldn't drown out the noisy sound of the mahjong game inside.

Cheng Xuan hung her hands down, lowering her head obediently, "He's at home."

Chen Huishu didn't hear clearly, "What!?"

Cheng Xuan repeated, "He's at home."

Chen Huishu heard it this time, "At home, at home, don't you know to stay home and take care of your younger brother? How could you go out and play? You're not like a responsible elder sister! Have you ever heard of it?!"

The scolding suddenly stopped, and Cheng Xuan looked up, still not sure of the situation, but she smelled a familiar and slightly sweet perfume next to her.