Chapter 23

It rained all day.

Yao Yanyan lay in bed, her body so soft that she could see Cheng Xuan sitting across from her writing exercises with her back to her just by lifting her eyelids.

She drowsily thought, how did she end up at the desk again? Wasn't she just struggling to write on the floor a moment ago?

After a while, she remembered that it was her own instruction before falling asleep.

Outside the window, it was still gloomy and the fine rain tapped against the glass window.

Inside the room, it was pitch black except for the bright reading lamp by Cheng Xuan's desk.

Yao Yanyan squinted and saw Cheng Xuan's black hair shining in the light.

She was about to sit up when her hand made a noise on the bed and Cheng Xuan turned her head.

"You're awake." Cheng Xuan said and came to her side, placing her ice-cold hand on her warm forehead.

It was unclear whether it was because she had been studying by the window all day, but now that she was closer, Yao Yanyan could smell the icy rainwater on Cheng Xuan.

Yao Yanyan didn't have much strength, so she leaned her head on Cheng Xuan's cold hand and said in a spoiled tone, "I still don't feel very comfortable."

"Okay." Cheng Xuan thought for a moment and said a stiff word of comfort, "You'll feel better soon."

"Okay." Yao Yanyan felt happy and moved her forehead away from her palm.

"Are you hungry?" Cheng Xuan asked.

"A little bit." Yao Yanyan replied.

"Okay." Cheng Xuan got up, "I'll make you some porridge."

"Thank you." Yao Yanyan lay back in bed and looked at Cheng Xuan's back as she went into the kitchen. Then she remembered the phone on the bedside table that had vibrated just a moment ago.

She opened WeChat and saw that Jiang Leyu had sent her a message.

Jiang Leyu was her childhood friend and college classmate.

Both of them were known for being independent and unique in the elegant and courteous high society circle of Jing City since they were young.

Perhaps they recognized each other's unfriendly demeanor and that was how they became friends for so many years.

Jiang Leyu asked her, "Where did you go?"

Yao Yanyan replied, "Traveling to relax."

Jiang Leyu immediately responded, "Did you break up? When did you start dating? Why didn't I know?"

Yao Yanyan was speechless and replied, "Can't I relax without breaking up?"

Jiang Leyu asked seriously, "Seriously, where did you go? People in the circle are saying that you're being rebellious in your later years, fighting with your parents and running away from home. As your only friend, I'm really embarrassed."

Yao Yanyan massaged her forehead and sent her location.

Jiang Leyu immediately replied, "Holy cow, were you kidnapped?"

Yao Yanyan replied, "I wasn't kidnapped, I'm not being rebellious, I just left home for a while."

After thinking for a while, Yao Yanyan revised her message and sent, "I went to do a good deed and helped a student who was having a difficult time."

Jiang Leyu exclaimed, "Holy cow!"

Yao Yanyan looked at her surprised friend and happily took a sip of water. She felt like she had elevated everyone around her.