Chapter 69

"You always insist on doing everything by yourself, don't you?"

After boarding the train and taking their seats, Cheng Xuan and Yao Yanyan exchanged their first words inside the carriage.

"What?" Yao Yanyan seemed a bit confused.

Cheng Xuan looked at her, furrowing her brow and turning to face her directly.

"Why didn't you let me help you just now?"

Unable to hold back, she vented all her frustrations through her words, her tone unpleasant. "You insisted on carrying that bag yourself," she pointed at the pink shoulder bag placed above.

"And even with the restaurant, you said any place would do," she continued, her frown deepening.

"And just before getting on the train, your hair got caught in the zipper again."

She raised three white fingers, shaking them at Yao Yanyan.

Yao Yanyan finally realized what was happening but couldn't understand why it was something worth getting angry about.

"What's the matter? Tell me, what did I do to upset you?"

Both of them had a bad tone, and Cheng Xuan's brain, after staying up all night, went blank for a moment. "What else? You tell me, what else?"

"Yeah, what else? Give me an explanation," Yao Yanyan slightly raised her voice.

"I carried my own bag, I can eat anywhere, and I untangled the zipper myself. What's wrong with that? Did I do something wrong? Do you have to give me a stinky face all morning?"

Cheng Xuan's anger flared up due to her words.

"You're capable, you can do anything, Sister. If you're so independent, why did you bring me along?"

"What do you mean?" Yao Yanyan stared at her, tense and fierce, her brows furrowed.

"I envy your independence so much that you treat me like a dead person, not allowing this dead person to help at all."

"You!" Yao Yanyan's brain went blank from being scolded. "Can't you speak properly? Do you have to be so sharp towards me?"

"Who started being sharp with whom? Who pushed whom away first, don't you realize that?" Perhaps due to staying up all night, Cheng Xuan's brain and mouth were connected, speaking without thinking.

"I'm not dead, I can't do anything, but do we need to be so independent when we're together?"

Yao Yanyan understood her meaning and tried to soften her attitude, but Cheng Xuan said,

"You never used to be like this."

Yao Yanyan widened her eyes at those words.

"Cheng Xuan, what do you mean?" Yao Yanyan couldn't believe it, her heart feeling a dull ache because of her words.

"So, what you mean is that you liked the old me and dislike the current me. I have disappointed you, right?"

It was a statement, and Cheng Xuan felt flustered upon hearing it. If she were to deny it, Yao Yanyan would stand up with her bag in hand.

"I'll go sit in the empty seat at the front." Yao Yanyan took a deep breath and carried her bag as she moved to the front.

Cheng Xuan paused, clutching the palm of her hand as she sat back in her seat.

Sometimes, she truly hated her inability to express herself well.

Clearly, she wanted her sister to rely on her a bit more, and she wanted to understand the kind of life she had lived abroad for the past few years. But whenever the words came out of her mouth, they always took on a different tone.