Chapter 59

"Sister, where are you going?" Yao Wu asked as Yao Yanyan stood up.

"I have something to attend to," Yao Yanyan looked at Jiang Leyu and said, "Take Xiao Wu downstairs and wait for me. I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Jiang Leyu didn't ask any further questions and agreed. She carefully supported Yao Wu's arm and helped her up.

Yao Yanyan felt a bit worried and glanced back. However, she straightened her back and walked downstairs, carrying her bag.

There was a strange anger burning inside her.

It had burned away her pride that she had displayed in front of Cheng Xuan, compelling her to want to see Cheng Xuan face to face and confront her, to ask about everything clearly.

Because she had a strange feeling about the current Cheng Xuan.

That feeling was like a block of ice locked in a dark cell, melting quickly and disappearing, or like a tightly tied rope that would soon break apart.

But perhaps it wasn't meant to be.

Outside, an unexpected thunderstorm suddenly began.

Yao Yanyan stood in the lobby on the first floor for a moment, watching a familiar black Maybach drive away from the parking space and disappear after turning a corner.

The anger in her heart seemed to be extinguished by the thunderstorm outside, leaving behind an empty shell filled with pale helplessness.

Yao Yanyan retraced her steps with her bag, her back no longer straight, as if being struck by the thunderstorm, bending inch by inch, walking unsteadily.

A sourness surged in her chest, but she forcibly suppressed it. Yao Yanyan didn't know what was happening to her, but suddenly, she felt uncomfortable and wanted to cry. Her eyes were getting hot.

She hated her own timidity.

She also felt fortunate that she hadn't fallen head over heels for Cheng Xuan.

But more than anything, she couldn't explain the inexplicable sadness she felt. She felt like Cheng Xuan had let her down, and it was Cheng Xuan who had made her lose in this relationship, even though it was all intangible.

When she went upstairs, she had already regained her composure.

Jiang Leyu was standing by the window smoking, and when she heard the sound of her coming upstairs, she didn't turn around but said, "You're back."

"Yeah," Yao Yanyan nodded and walked toward Yao Wu, asking her in a gentle voice, "Is your knee still hurting, Xiao Wu?"

There was a slight nasal sound in her voice, and Yao Wu noticed it, feeling worried. "Sister, what's wrong with you?"

"Sister is fine. Let's go back first," Yao Yanyan couldn't stand other people comforting her at the moment. She felt she was being overly melodramatic, and whenever she heard someone expressing concern, she would have an intense urge to cry.

Her voice was noticeably hoarse, and it broke Yao Wu's heart. She thought Song Bairuo had bullied her again and was about to go downstairs, saying, "Damn it, if you dare to bully my sister, I'll settle the score with you... Ah!"

Her footsteps downstairs were stopped by Jiang Leyu, who grabbed her arm and said while smoking, "Enough already. If you fight again, I doubt you can continue being a law student. Lawyers don't make a living by fighting all the time."

She turned to Yao Yanyan, sighed, and didn't ask any questions. She simply said, "Where are you going later? It's almost time to get off work."

"Let me take half a day off today," Yao Yanyan said. "I still need to go to Elegance to pick a dress. I won't go to the company this afternoon."