Chapter 45

"Always using this excuse to brush me off..."

Zhang Anna slumped on the chair, tears streaming down her face, mumbling to herself.

"In the end, it's just hatred towards me... doesn't want to see me..."

Meng Chengyan heard her crying and felt suffocated. She wished she had no ears so zhe wouldn't have heard anything. She stood still, forcing herself, until Yao Wei noticed there was still someone there. He waved his hand, signaling her to leave. She felt relieved and bowed before walking out.

Outside, it had started raining lightly, though no one knew when it had begun.

Meng Chengyan glanced at the sky, ran to the front of the car in the rain, and opened the door.

Today was Zhang Anna's birthday, but Yao Yanyan had no plans to go back.

Although she had occasional contact with her family over the past few years, it would be awkward for her to return with Cheng Xuan present but Yao Wu absent. Seeing her would make everyone unhappy, so she planned to wait until Yao Wu returned to Jing City and then go back together.

Yao Yanyan thought for a moment and decided to send Zhang Anna a birthday greeting on WeChat before getting ready.

She remembered she had a dress she bought last year, which would be suitable for this occasion.

Just as she put it on, her phone rang. Yao Yanyan picked it up, and it was Zhang Anna's reply.

She replied with a "You're welcome, Mom."

She didn't hate Zhang Anna, even though neither she nor Yao Wu had much of a connection with her.

Zhang Anna had always been a delicate and sensitive person. In her early years, she was busy with work, so Yao Yanyan was mostly left to her own devices. They would only see each other once or twice a year.

Later, when Yao Wu was born, Zhang Anna developed anxiety due to work, staying awake all night and throwing things.

At that time, the young Yao Yanyan worried that Yao Wu would be scared, so she would hold her and sleep, covering her ears to prevent her from hearing the noise outside.

When Yao Wu started speaking, her first words were not "mom" but "sister."

It wasn't until Yao Wu reached the age of thirteen or fourteen and started rebelling that Zhang Anna realized both of her children were distant from her.

Yao Yanyan had grown up, and she couldn't control her anymore, so she began to control Yao Wu, demanding that she come home at a certain time at night, forbidding her from going out to play, and prohibiting her from eating junk food...

But Yao Wu never listened to her; she only listened to Yao Yanyan and would only act cute with her.

Hoping that this time, without the interference of the original work's "Yao Yanyan," she could treat Cheng Xuan better.

With this thought, Yao Yanyan zipped up her dress.

Jiang Leyu was waiting in the car for someone to come out.

In the morning, Yao Yanyan had been nagging at her, so in the afternoon, she tidied up the car compartment and sprayed some pleasant car freshener.

A woman lazily smoking a cigarette heard the apartment door open.

Yao Yanyan opened a transparent umbrella and turned around to carefully close the door, smiling and waving at her.

She wasn't dressed extravagantly.