3 - Hit Me

Hotch

"Give me things to do!" Garcia's voice came singing from the phone.

"Garcia, I need you to run a background on an officer," I told her.

"Ooh, dig'n up dirt. I like it. Who's the perp?" she asked.

"Detective Kennedy Russo," I replied. There was a pause on the other end

"Sir, isn't she the detective who's helping with this case?" she asked.

"Yes. I want a full scale check on her. She's applying for the bureau," I told her. "I would do it, but I haven't had the time to,"

"Say no more. Kennedy Russo coming up. Call you back in two," then she hung up.

Russo

"He could be a salesman, but he didn't take any cash. Possibly a door man...but then there wasn't one at Vicki Watson's apartment. Vicki and Brittany didn't have cameras in their buildings, but then Lindsey's did, and he made sure to avoid every one of them. How? And why glue Brittany's rectum, and not the others?" I was talking to myself, it was something I did often. Half the time I didn't even realize I was doing it. Until I had moments like this.

"You know you're the only person I know besides myself who talks to themselves," I nearly jumped three feet in the air when I heard Reid come up from behind me. I turned and found him standing in the doorway, with his hands shoved in his pockets, and his head tilted.

"Jesus, knock next time," I said.

"Sorry about that. What're you doing?" he asked as he walked in, staring at the board next to me.

"Trying to get a profile from all of...this," I gestured to the mess we have created on the board, with pictures, articles, and forensics. "You guys make it look so easy," I sighed.

"Did you study profiling?" he asked.

"I took a two year course while in the academy. My professor taught me that building a suspect profile is one of the most important parts of the job. It sets a mentality scale for the suspect and the ability to apprehend him with -"

"- Miminal loss of life, I know," he said. Right, of course he did, he'd been doing this for years.

"Right. So, you seeing anything that I don't?" I asked, hoping to kill the awkward silence.

"Actually based on what we have, I can create a rough draft of our unsub," he replied.

"Alright then, hit me," I said. He gave me a confused look.

"Why would I hit you?" he asked.

"It's an expression. Take a shot at it," I explained. He had what I like to call an 'Ah-ha' moment and studied the board.

"Our unsub is a sexual sadist. He clearly has been hunting women for years. It may not have been this particular M.O, but there's a chance he's been credited with other rapes in the jurisdiction. The change in neighborhood says that he's comfortable to attack anywhere; and since their was no forced entry, he may look like someone a woman may trust and open their door to him. Once he's in their apartments, he subdues them - physically most likely - and then he's in control. Once they're down, he's in control. He glues their mouths shut and has them for as long as he wants, because nobody can hear them scream. His cooling off periods are getting shorter within each kill, tells us that his urges to kill are getting stronger every day. Once he does kill, he gets this high that lasts for maybe 24 hours, before he goes hunting again. The level of pain he inflicts tells us that he gets off more on their pain and suffering then when he's physically raping them. He's starting to bring his own restraints with him, he's getting smarter and smarter with each kill. So the next time he attacks, there's a chance that he'll take measures to make sure that his trail is covered," he said. I just watched him talk, amazed at how much he can say at a consistent pace and still be able to breathe in between.