39- 200 Feet

Russo

"We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity. We cannot remain looking inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet." ~Stephen Hawking

"All right, this is QV-901. It's a surveillance drone with no other payload, which means it flies unarmed. Three weeks ago, while it was on a routine test flight, it was hijacked, never recovered," Rossi said. We stood before the squad, giving them the profile

"How do you hijack a drone?" a officer asked.

"GPS spoofing," I replied, "Somebody jammed Vanrex's control signal to the UAV, fed it false GPS data, and made it land wherever the hijacker wanted it,"

"So could this be an inside job?" Harret asked.

"We're not sure yet. Vanrex gave us a list of all their current and ex-employees that had clearance on the project, so we should run their names against the victims, see if we come up with a connection," JJ replied.

"Right, and if we find one, that might explain motive," Kate said.

"It takes a special kind of brilliance to hijack a drone, arm it and reprogram it. We are dealing with one very smart, very sick unsub," Morgan said.

"He's arrogant, too proud to admit his faults. He's under appreciated in the world, over appreciated in his head," Reid said.

"Hijacking this drone is his way of saying he's in control, playing God. And if necessary, he will go to extremes until he gets what he wants," I said.

"So, how do we stop it?" an officer asked. We looked at each other, then Hotch huffed.

"Unfortunately, there may not be much we can do until it attack again," he said.

"Miami is under a hundred kilometers squared. How are we supposed to know where it'll attack?" Harret asked.

"We just have to wait and be on the scene as fast as possible," as if on cue, the land line rang. Then another one, then another one. We knew what that meant.

The drone came back.

This time it decided to attack on a highly popular beach. There were several ambulances and evacuation crews on site, along with several terrified pedestrians. "Same drone that attacked the hikers this morning. Witnesses say that it flew in, hovered, gathering a crowd, and then bang, opens fire. Ten seconds later, we got five dead, 19 wounded," Detective Harret said.

"Garcia's running IDs, seeing if there are any connections with the hikers," Morgan said.

"One of my officers got off a couple shots. A witness caught it on their phone," an officer handed us an iphone with the video of a cop shooting at the drone. He got off at least six shots before the drone flew away.

"That's good shooting," I said.

"If it wasn't, more people would be dead," Morgan replied.

"That's seven people dead, nineteen wounded," I said.

"Garcia can't find any correlations between the hikers and the victims at the beach," JJ said.

"Which means the targets could be random," Kate said.

"And we have to start treating this as an act of terrorism," Reid said.

"Except for the fact that no group or individual has claimed responsibility," Rossi said.

"Then maybe they're not done yet," Hotch said. The open laptop beeped and Garcia came onto the video chat.

"Hello crimefighters. I have some more intel on that nasty drone you're looking for," she said. "But first, a quick disclaimer. Whatever I share with you today is in no way connected to me, my family or anyone I know. I'm strictly here on to say hello to my crime-fighting friends, nothing more. Any attempt to associate me with the information I'm about to share will be vehemently denied by myself and the attorney I will retain. Are we understood?" she asked.