30- Six Weeks

Reid

*CLONK*

"Ow," something bounced off my head, waking me from sleep.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauties!" Russo shouted. "I got breakfast...ish," I sat up from the tree, my body was very sore. Bark is not the most comfortable material to sleep on.

"What'd you get?" Morgan asked.

"A few berries, nuts. Sorry, I couldn't find eggs and bacon," she said.

"As long as it's edible, I'll take it," he replied.

"What did you throw at me?" I asked her.

"A chestnut, you weren't waking up," she replied. "So, do we keep running today?"

"Depends on how we're all feeling. Reid?" Morgan was referring to my leg.

"I should be able to keep up today, but perhaps we can keep our pace to hike instead of running aimlessly through the woods," I suggested.

"We weren't running aimlessly, we were heading west. If we keep a consistent pace, we may be lucky enough to hit a road or highway within the next couple hours," Kennedy said.

"You think Linwood could be on our trail?"  Morgan asked.

"Given our escape was just over nine hours ago, he would've had to check the shed the first half hour and begin whatever he had planned for us. He has a dog so he may be able to track down our scent; not to mention his advantage with his expertise in these woods --"

"Alright, I get it. We're doomed," he said. Kennedy grimaced and clutched her stomach.

"You okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah, cramps from running. I'm gonna try to walk it off," she replied as she stood up, "I'll be back in a few minutes," she disappeared behind a grove, the grass crunched underneath her boots. I found I was staring longingly at that small grove, waiting for her to emerge again.

"Man, you need to make your move," Morgan chuckled.

"It's not that easy. I want to ask her, but it's the not knowing her response that scares me," I replied.

"I know. Hey, it wasn't easy for me to ask out Savannah; but now we're much more then neighbors. And I know that you want to be so much more then roommates with Kenny," he said.

"I always feel like there are two types of people in this world," I said, "The ones who act fast and the ones who are too cautious to act at all. I'm tired of being one of those people,"

"Well then stop. I know it may be harder then it sounds, but there's nothing wrong with trying. I can give you some tips on how to ask her," he replied.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Well, for starters...tell her she's pretty. You make her comfortable, and you just tell her. If she doesn't want to move forward, then you guys can just remain friends," he replied.

"I hope you're right about this. Because if you're wrong, I'm never talking to you again," I told him as I stood up.

"You stop talking? I'd pay to see that," he replied, doing just the same.

"Pay to see what?" Kennedy came back, wiping her mouth with her jacket sleeve. That was a bit odd.

"You okay?" Morgan asked.

"Yeah. We should start moving again. Any idea which way West is?" she asked.

"Thirty degrees to the left," I pointed in the direction. They looked at each other, then at me, "What?"