46~ Vendetta

Morgan was up on the stand next; with fingers crossed, he would tell the jury what exactly he saw when he ran into the construction site six months ago. My heel was clacking up against the floor nervously again; I didn't even realize I was doing it until Reid placed his hand over my knee to stop me. I jumped a little, I didn't realize I was doing it.

"It's okay," he assured me.

"Agent Morgan, what is the procedure for the extraction of a criminal with no casualties?" Patricia asked him.

"We make said person as comfortable as possible in a tight and resigned environment, and we assure the them that everything will be okay so long as they cooperate with us," he replied.

"And you would say that you followed said procedure by the book?" she asked.

"Absolutely," he replied.

"When you and your partner ran into the construction site, what was your first alert that there was danger?" she asked.

"We heard Fiona Barnes screaming for help, we followed the sound until we came upon her and Agent Russo being held captive by the defendant," he replied.

"Objection! That's a prejudicial answer!" Sharrick called.

"Sustained. Tread carefully, Agent," the judge said.

"Could you describe the scene you ran into, Agent?" Patricia asked.

"Fiona Barnes was bound to a water heater while the defendant had a gun aimed at her, and Agent Russo was chained to the ceiling, immobile to move or do anything to help Fiona," he replied.

"Is it safe to say that if you didn't arrive when you did, the defendant would have killed Agent Russo and Fiona Barnes?" she asked.

"Prejudicial question!" Sharrick called again.

"Goes to the witness' expert opinion your honor, the witness is after all an agent with the Behavioral Analysis Unit," Patricia said.

"I'll allow it. Answer the question, Agent Morgan," the judge said.

"Yes, there was a chance that the defendant would have killed them both, and then himself," he replied.

"One last question; do you see the defendant in this room today?" she asked. He nodded, then pointed to Sharrick.

"Sitting right there," Sharrick scoffed with distain.

"Thank you, no more questions," then she sat down. Daniel stood up and straightened out his tie.

"Agent Morgan, how long have you worked for the FBI?" he asked Morgan.

"Just over a decade or so," he replied.

"That's a long time to be doing this job. You must have seen many criminals who do many horrendous things," he said.

"Is there a question coming?" Patricia asked.

"Just leading up to it," Daniel replied.

"Move it along, Mr. Sharrick," the judge said.

"Of course. Agent Morgan, would you say you're quite passionate about your job?" he asked.

"I wouldn't say the job. I'd say it's more about taking criminals off the street," he replied.

"Oh come on, Agent!" he suddenly burst out, "Let's not play this game, just admit it: the FBI has a vendetta against me," he said.

"The FBI doesn't hold vendettas against anybody, criminal or not," he stated.

"Oh no? In fact, several people in your unit have stated that you would like to -- quote-on-quote -- kill me! Destroy me! But truth be told, I wasn't even your number one suspect, was I?" he asked him. Morgan's jaw clenched as he looked at Daniel with hard eyes.