Loving Merritt After 28

As soon as the sun set, Merritt and Levi were back in the car, Levi had sent the data file of sketches and Merritt's words of her experiences to Joy right before they got on the move again. Letting Joy know they would be on a plane for the next several hours.

Unaware, that Joy had been taken into custody of The Council. Immediately after Asher's escape, in case she had something to do with it, or was a target. The Council was scrambling. They had thought their methods were flawless. A simple, new vampire being able to escape was an impossibility.

Levi and Merritt crashed the rental, naked. Exiting the car, and getting changed back into their clothes that they had left nearby to their crash site. Walking the last small distance to the airport, and flying back home.

Levi drove his own car back from the airport, to their familiar home base. Merritt again, asked for space, and this time Levi promised her he would give it. Letting her have her apartment while he rescinded his unavailable status and checked in on his various interests. A full twenty seven hours had passed before Levi finally saw that Asher had escaped. That, since his escape Asher had been as good as a ghost.

Unseen and untraceable. Levi kept this development to himself. Merritt had requested space, and did not reply to his nightly text. Levi weighed his options. Merritt wanted space, he would follow her wishes. If she did not wish to speak to him then he could not tell her that he believed she had met his sire, that the prostitute that had turned Levi vampire was the same who had tried to lure Merritt into a trap. Unable to see how trying to force the information on her would be beneficial.

Nor, without communication could he tell her about Asher. The Council had a flawless record Levi assured in his choice to keep waters calm. The Council would easily find Asher, and get him back under control. Levi was following the situation carefully over the next couple of days. Feeling everything was well enough in hand. Merritt was nearby. Never leaving her apartment. Not returning any of Levi's overtures. Aside from accepting the floral deliveries every day. His girl always loved flowers.

The Council's latest update indicated that they believed their scouts had a good path to follow. Tracing Asher with witches skilled in locating spells. The entire time, Merritt had stayed inside her apartment. Coolers of blood bags on ice were delivered at a regular schedule, and Levi knew his girl was eating regular meals. Taking care of herself. She was just doing it without him be her side.

Four days had already passed. The longest Levi had been apart from Merritt since Asher had called him to come and pick up the bride from his bar. Levi was consulting on some final design choices for what would be the new master suite, once this previously humble apartment block was remodeled into a mansion worthy of Merritt. When a truly, chilling, heart stopping scream echoed through the empty building, the same time a flare of pure anguish burned through Levi's mind from Merritt.

Levi ran to Merritt's door, and broke the handle to gain entry, finding her in the living room, tea that no longer tasted good to her in her favorite, now broken mug spilled over the floor. A manga book in a style Levi already knew was a favorite artist for her soaking up the warm liquid of the spilled tea from the broken mug. Merritt's glowing red eyes wide and shocked.

Drops of blood dropping into the small pool of drink. Dark at first splash, before diffusing through the puddle. Until Merritt's tears vanished into the puddle as she spoke, voice a broken whisper even to Levi's ears. "Asher is-" Merritt started to say, her voice catching in her throat. "He's gone." Merritt said with a hollow voice. There was nothing from him. A sensation like a knife cutting a part of her away. Quicker than an expert surgeon with a blade everything changed. The match spark Merritt had accepted was the last bit of Asher she would feel, was gone. Completely. Like their connection never had been. So complete was the removal.