Loving Merritt After 40

Marisol arrived at the base camp with Xi and Merritt, a tent hidden behind thick trees just off from a narrow country road. Merritt and Xi were both fitted with the absolute best in lightweight body armor. Cameras and satellite tracking devices set up and tested to ensure everything was working perfectly. A few last minute emergency weapons and defensive bottled spells handed over to each. Preparations for whatever they might come across.

Merritt didn't feel the awful feeling she had felt when she had fled from the mansion that had been purpose built to hold vampires of other guests in absolute luxury. These trees, tall and dark looked like any other forest her mind could conjure. Except it wasn't like any other woods. Merritt could feel something calling out to her. "I think I know where to go." She said as the last tech nodded, indicating that they were done with their set up. Xi had stirred more than a few questioning glances, but Merritt would have to admit that Marisol must run a very tight ship because everyone in the tent was perfectly professional.

Merritt felt weighted down by the safety gear Marisol and team insisting on adding to her. She did not like feeling so bulky. Xi looked just as uncomfortable as she did. Everyone had gone pale when Merritt said she thought she knew where to go.

Merritt knew, this was something dangerous and risky. She didn't care. Asher and Levi were already lost to her. Containing and stopping this demon would help so many people. She was determined to do something good, regardless of any cost or risk to herself. Merritt had nothing left to lose. Just one chance to do something good.

Xi and Merritt set out from the base camp loaded with tactical and defensive gear. Two elite teams trailing behind on either side to try and catch anything that might happen. This was their last stab at trying to catch this demon. Neither Laurel or Melody would ever agree to risking more people after tonight's mission. Tonight was do or die. One last chance to use all the resources the real centers of power were willing to risk on this mission.

Knowing she was bait, that this might be the last thing she did that meant anything. Merritt started to walk towards whatever it was that was calling to her. Her demon was singing the same lullaby she always sang in quiet times. "Good Luck! We will be watching." Marisol called from behind Merritt as she started to just put one foot in front of the other towards the path that was calling out to her.

The night was dark, the moon gone from the sky this evening. Merritt had enhanced senses, but not even she could see in the dark. Xi appeared beside her. Taking her hand the moment it grew too dark for Merritt to feel safe taking another step. Not when she knew, something far stronger than she herself was the source of the calling. Was what she was trying to lure out of hiding without anyone else getting hurt.

"I will see for you, follow your heart." Xi told Merritt. Trusting her, regardless of the final outcome, this was certainly an act worth redemption. A chance to see his family in the after life, a chance for everything he had suffered to be worth it.

Merritt walked, her steps leading her down a perfectly clear path through the forest, a few small branches had to be waved out of her way as she walked. Trusting that Xi would keep to his word and keep her safe. Merritt kept walking towards what she knew was going to be a trap. She was doing this to make the world a better place. She was going to do it. That was all she had ever wanted to do with her life.

Xi was doing his best, he could see anything with any kind of heat signature. Anything that would make it stick out in the infrared spectrum. Useful for seeing both living and magical effects in the area around you. This is all Xi knew he had ever been good for, This time, he was using the biological gift on his terms. Because he wanted to. Because he wanted to help Merritt even though Vampires were always to be killed on sight per the standing order in the sunless society.

Even when he had watched Merritt greet her death with a smile on her face, he couldn't just let her die. He had saved her, because he had been called to serve. His people always spoke of the feeling. He knew it when he felt it. They were gone, he remained, he would do his best to follow their ways as he had been taught. A last testament to the society that Fae tried to crumble once, then finished on the second try.

There was a communication alert in both their ears, a message from the base camp. Neither Merritt or Xi were able to hear what the communication was before the line turned to only static in their ears. They had crossed into the territory of the demon. Marisol's advanced technology did not seem up to task of keeping up any longer. They still each had a magical charm, a witch holding a scry on each of them over maps. Or at least, Merritt hoped that link was still working.

Merritt was feeling very small, and very scared. She could no longer hear anything from the two elite teams that were supposed to have stayed nearby. "I have you." Xi promised Merritt. Senses he did not know he had coming alive as a demon began to colalease in the area around them. The air alive with the influence of the demon on the infrared spectrum. "This is what the Dark elves had striven to breed for. The ability to sense, and work with the demons. In hopes to one day take the surface again." He said out loud, trying to offer reassurances that he had never been never given. Using the talents he had been born with for his own purposes.

Xi had made it. He was on the surface, had seen not only the sunlit world of Fae, but made it all the way to earth. Protected by all the gods who had come before. The one place where paradise could ever hope to exist. Or, that is what every demon has said according to the records kept by the dark elves. This was one place all demons wanted to reach.

Merritt felt a single sharp pain in her stomach. Like she had been stabbed. Doubling over at her waist. Letting go of Xi's hand. Mouth falling open in a silent scream of pain. Just for a second then it was all over. "What happened?" Xi asked her, deeply concerned at her cry of pain and distress.