Chapter 1 - Resurrected

"I'm scared Henrik," I say to my 13 year old brother and he gives me a big hug.

"Everything will be okay Hedda, you'll either stay here with me or you'll be back with our family. You don't need to be scared," he reassures me.

"But I won't remember you," I tell him. "I want to stay here. I don't want to go back."

He looks sad before brushing my hair behind my ear gently. "I'll be able to watch you Hedu, go and return to our brothers and sisters. They need you, our family has fallen apart."

"No," I shake my head. "No Henrik. I don't want to go. Don't make me go."

He pulls me into a tight embrace. "I'll see you again I'm sure of it."

I cry in his arms, as we watch the doppelgänger named Katerina hand Bonnie the page of her ancestor's grimoire. An old Bennett spell for a linked resurrection.

Henrik and I have been watching them for weeks. From Katerina's plan to bring me back so our brother will pardon her, to slowly tearing down Bonnie's resistance to try the spell while lying to her about what it will truly do.

Now everything is in place and the doppelgänger is rushing Bonnie to complete the spell because she's worried she might change her mind. Or realise she's being lied to.

"I know you want my Grams to do something for you when she comes back but I can't promise she'll agree to it," Bonnie says.

"I know, I'm willing to take that risk. She's the only one who can give me what I need," Katerina lies smoothly.

Bonnie would never believe her if she claimed to want Sheila back out of the goodness of her heart. No, that would never have worked. So the cunning Katerina convinced the little Bennett witch that she needed something from her Grams. That she would help Bonnie bring her back because Sheila had something she desperately needed.

Grieving Bonnie believed her almost immediately, hoping with all of her heart that she could bring her Grams back. Not truly researching the spell for herself to see that Katerina was taking advantage of her and seizing her opportunity to convince a witch to attempt a rather complex dual resurrection spell. For both Sheila and me. One where I will survive but Sheila will not, the magic will take it's toll on her body and she will eventually die again, although not immediately.

"Maybe it won't work," I suggest to Henrik doubtfully but I know he believes it will if Bonnie has the power to do it and all the strange ingredients for the spell.

Henrik used to be a very gifted witch and he took a peek at the spell over Bonnie's shoulder a few weeks ago before refusing to answer my questions about it. I know he thinks it will work. He just won't admit it to me.

"I don't want to leave you, you'll be so lonely," I continue. "Why can't you stop her?"

He doesn't respond. We both know we have no way to impact them while we are on the Other Side.

Bonnie starts the spell and all we can do is watch and wait. When she starts chanting the memorised words from the grimoire I seal my hands over my ears, pretending I can't hear her.

"No. No. No. I don't want to go back. I don't want to go back."

Henrik's tear stained cheeks match my own as he hugs me again so tightly and I never want him to let go.