Chapter 29 - Attempted Kidnapping

"I'm the greatest of all time," Nik struts around the house trying to impress Caroline who has come to visit Bekah. We all know she's really here to see Nik though.

"No, you're just annoying," I shut him down and he gapes at me, offended.

I don't allow him time to rebuke me.

"I spoke to Tatia," I say casually, lying outrageously but hoping Nik will fall for it. "Edey did a spell and now I can talk to ghosts."

Nik pauses and regards me carefully.

"Tatia was human, that makes no sense," he shakes his head in disbelief.

Oh. I didn't think of that.

"She has a tiny amount of magic from her family that's how," I continue making up my story. "She taught me to write my name as it was meant to be written."

Nik's brows furrow in confusion and I demonstrate what I was shown by Katerina. She wrote my proper name out and I learnt it, coping it over and over again.

I find a piece of paper and a pencil and write out my actual name. Not my English one, my actual one. My name from when I was born.

ᚺᛖᛞᛞᚨ

Nik stares down at it in shock. He knows none of our family have taught me that, so what I'm saying must be true.

"Elijah," he bellows. "Did you teach this to Hedda?"

'Lijah comes downstairs quickly and confirms he did not. Kol hears the racket and swears he didn't either, a small smile plays on his lips when he realises what I'm up to.

"I told you it was Tatia," I refuse to let it go. "She taught me how to do it properly."

"What did Edey do?" Nik asks taking my claims seriously now.

"A spell from the grimoire to talk to ghosts but I don't see them all the time."

"What grimoire?" 'Lijah becomes very concerned.

"Um, the one that she has at her home," I answer avoiding the full truth like the plague.

"You shouldn't be doing that sort of magic with her," 'Lijah scolds me. "It's dangerous."

"No it's not, it's fun," I continue to debate which displeases him.

They both endeavour to keep more of an eye on me, especially when I'm with my friends.

Stage one of my plan is complete. Now I just have to make it funny.

I spend the rest of the day freaking Nik out by pretending there are ghosts at the most inopportune times. I make up people who say they know Nik's secrets and he even calls 'Lijah again to listen to what I'm outrageously claiming.

They're both very unsettled and try to find out what spell Edey used but I can't tell them because it's all made up.

Koly even helps me by pretending I've revealed his secrets, secrets only a ghost could know.

Nik and 'Lijah have never looked so pale.

It's really funny.

****

My new puppy Henry, who I named after Henrik, is tucked in beside me when it's time for bed. Having a puppy to lay beside makes sleeping fun.

For the second day, I don't complain about my bed time and 'Lijah is very pleased by it. Normally I'm a nightmare and do anything I can to delay it.