Chapter 12 - Ray Sutton

"No Nik I won't stay in the car later," I pout and hold him tightly so he can't go without me.

"Hedi, you were scared last time," he points out but I don't care.

"All I want is to be with you Nik."

I cuddle up to him closer as we lay together on the bed in the hotel.

He sighs, "alright but you have to promise to listen and follow everything I tell you."

"I give you my word," I nod excitedly. I can't believe he's agreeing.

He seems amused at my big girl response like 'Lijah taught me, before kissing me softly on the cheek. Stefan appears from his room opposite ours right on time and we head to the bar.

Nik picks me up while Stefan goes to compel everyone and identify Ray Sutton. Apparently he's a werewolf but I'm not scared, I have Nik.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," Nik walks us over to Ray and starts explaining how we found him. "We started in Florida, Pensacola. I met a young chap there who you used to work with before you moved to Memphis... now he directed me to two lovely young women... and they led me here, to you."

"I think I'll be going..." Ray realises something is wrong and tries to leave but my brother stops him. I cling onto his neck closely feeling nervous.

"Not so fast mate, you only just got here. Now your type are very hard to come by," Nik tells him. He glances down at me to check I'm alright as Stefan stops Ray walking the other way.

"I wouldn't do that," Stefan harshly pushes Ray back in our direction.

"Vampires..." Ray realises and his eyes go wide.

"You're swifty swift Ray, yes!" Nik exclaims, loving the attention turning all on him.

"What about her?" Ray points at me and I shrink back in Nik's arms.

"This is my little sister, I'm trying to take good care of her you see. I'll prove I can be trusted alone with her."

"Nik's a hybrid," I tell Ray proudly. "He is bigger and stronger than anyone and he can do anything. How cool is that?"

Ray's eyes flash with concern as he looks at my brother again, "you what?"

"A hybrid Ray. I'm both," my brother repeats while grinning at me for my helpful input.

Nik sets me down, instructing me to sit on the other side of the bar where I can't see anything. Wanting to be invited out with him again, I comply without making a fuss for once.

See? I can be good even if he doesn't believe it.

Nik seems pleased with me and allows Stefan to carry out whatever horrible thing he's doing this time.

I'm just glad I don't have to see it.

"Watch this Hedi," Nik says instead when he sits beside me and calls over the bartender to work as a distraction from Ray's screams. "I'll order a lemonade, at no charge."

I watch in awe as the bartender agrees instantly, pouring a lemonade for him and announcing dramatically, "it's on the house!"

"That means it's free," Nik nudges me. "Now you try."

"Please can you make me a lemonade too please?" I try to copy what I saw and stare into his eyes intensely.

"Of course," he replies and pours a second glass for me.

"Don't forget to ask for it free," I'm reminded by my brother.

"For free," I add and the bartender nods eager to please.