Chapter 17 - Left Behind

I said I hate my brother the other night.

I was angry and upset and wanted him to be too. But now I'm worried I made him leave.

He never came back for us and I'm distraught.

Bekah and I had to go to the Salvatore house because Nik left us behind. He doesn't care about me. Or Bekah.

I struggle to pretend it doesn't upset me but it does. I hate him but I love him.

He's a smelly dog.

"Did he not come back because I told him I hate him?" I worriedly check with my sister who is just as mad as I am at being abandoned.

"Was it because I was upset and said I wanted him to die instead of me? I didn't really mean it."

"No Hedi, it's not your fault," she reassures me but she seems distracted, busy thinking about other things.

"Can we get the others back now he's gone?" I brighten up at my clever idea. Hopefully some good can come of this. "You must know where they are."

"Our family?" Bekah confirms with me.

"Yes. Did you have a holiday or not, I'm so confused..?"

"What do you mean?" She looks puzzled at my line of enquiry.

"Nik said they're away having a long rest. But he also said he lied," I explain. "I know he sent you away but I don't understand. Was it a holiday or not? I know you didn't want to go when he made you leave."

Realisation dawns on my sisters face.

"Sadly I don't know where they are Hedi. I want them back too. And yes, but I suppose it was more of a long rest than a holiday."

I still don't understand but I can ask 'Lijah or Kol to explain properly when they come back.

Bekah starts getting dressed for the day, rushing around and packing a bag.

"Where are we going?" I ask hopefully. Maybe she can bring our family back even if she doesn't know where they are.

"We're not going anywhere," she replies. "I'm going to school and you're going to stay here with Damon."

She doesn't seem to notice my instant drop in mood because I don't say anything yet.

"I've bought you some books to keep you busy," she puts a stack on the bed.

I don't bother looking at them. I don't even know how to read the word Hedda. I can't read that.

"You're leaving me?" I accuse her, anxiety bubbling in the pit of my stomach.

What if she doesn't come back?

She pauses, finally picking up on how upset and angry I am.

"No it's not like that. I just want to go to school, I've been away for 90 years. I can't sit around doing nothing."

"I don't want you to go," I pout but it doesn't work.

"I'll be back soon and Damon is around. You like him don't you?" She waltzes out of the room leaving me staring after her.

I angrily lock my door and cry under the covers.

Why do I always get left? Doesn't any of my family love me anymore like they used to?

As I sit and flick through the books she left me, I get angrier and angrier. I try to ignore it by making up stories to go along with the pictures in each book but I get fed up quite quickly.