Chapter 11 - Midnight Sacrifice

"Stop," I insist planting my feet firm on the ground. "Nik was here."

"What do you mean?" 'Lijah looks at me intensely, his eyebrows drawing in. "I can't see him."

"No. He was here, I can just tell."

"What makes you think that?"

"I told you. I can just tell," I struggle to explain.

'Lijah looks at me concerned. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Yes," I stomp my foot in frustration. I guess those shoes have come in handy after all. "Nik was here."

My big brother looks around again. "Where?"

"I don't know," I admit. "But here."

It takes a lot of persuasion from him to convince me to move again. Although he is kind and patient and doesn't try to pick me up and force me. He sits with me until I realise we should probably go back.

Nik is no where to be seen.

***

Evening comes quicker than I thought it would and 'Lijah has left me here with Katerina. I thought it would bother me more than it does but I like being with her, she's fun.

She's brought over paints and we try to fill in the gaps by looking at the numbers but I struggle to match them up.

Luckily Katerina has the same picture as me, a beautiful field of flowers, so I follow along after her. I don't want her to think I'm stupid for not knowing my numbers so I pretend I do. She doesn't notice.

We chat while we paint and I giggle and tease her about my brother. Night falls and I stare out of the window wondering when he will be back. He said it should be later tonight or tomorrow morning but he refused to promise me that.

I'm naturally very worried, I'm scared of the wolves that are out there. I can hear the howling from here and it frightens me a lot.

Katerina tries to calm me and I end up falling asleep in her lap. I wake up the following morning and she hasn't moved, she's stayed with me nestled in her lap, playing with my hair.

"Where's 'Lijah and Nik?" I ask her, craning my neck around to see if there here.

"They're not back yet," she responds calmly but it does nothing to keep me calm.

"Not here? They didn't come back?" I sit bolt upright.

"Not yet but there's no need to worry Little One."

"What if the wolves got them?" I panic and twist out of her reach. "We need to look for them."

"No, we should stay here. Elijah told me to wait with you. If we don't hear from either of them in a couple of days, maybe then we can have a look okay?"

I don't like her suggestion but she might be right. She grabs me a blood bag from the fridge and we spend the rest of the day playing snap with some picture cards she brought and finish off our paintings.

Days pass and I grow more and more restless. I hate being stuck in here and Katerina seems to be growing worried at the length of our wait even though she tries to hide it.

But on the third afternoon together we hear a noise at the door.

Running over I fling it open expecting to see 'Lijah. I'm just glad he's okay.

But it's Nik who stands in the doorway. Alone.

"Hedi," he smiles at me and steps into the flat, closing the door behind him. "I've missed you."