Chapter 48 - Dahlia's Deal

Today I learnt that I can't always trust people who are family. I always do except for Father but I met someone really horrid.

My aunt Dahlia...

Well actually, she kidnapped me.

***

"Koly, it's time to wake up," I shake him while putting my pink accessorised hearing aids in, one by one.

"Ugh Hedda," he protests using my real first name but I laugh and decide the only way forward is to start a war.

I pull off my duvet from my bed where he's half asleep and run downstairs with it trailing behind me.

"Whoops," I nearly trip up but I catch my footing at the last minute, giggling as I hear my Koly shout out for me.

"Oi you rascal, bring that back!"

"No," I shout and blow a raspberry in his direction before collapsing into giggles.

A few seconds later Koly stomps out of my room where we had his promised sleepover last night.

"Heddy-bear, please," he begs and really tries to convince me to let him go back to sleep.

"No you were gone for too long and now I have to be with you all the time. I had the worst time ever without you."

"I know," Koly replies, being aware of everything that happened when he was dead. "You had a really hard time didn't you?"

His sympathy brings up deep emotions and I feel sad again.

"I didn't mean to be bad like father, I didn't," I say quietly as shame fills me. It's always there, hiding in the dark and waiting for the right time to make it's reappearance.

"You're not like him Heddy-bear, I know you very well," my Koly reassures me confidently. I trust him so I'm finally able to let my shame and self hatred go, sighing in relief when I know he still loves me and he doesn't think I'm anything like father.

I ask Koly if we can meet up with Davina and Sarah-Jane and he heads over to check with the rest of our family who are meeting someone new.

It's a pretty woman with blonde hair but no one lets me say hello to her. They hide me away and it makes me a bit sad.

Koly comes back and tells me he's needed today to perform some spells so I sit by Hopey's crib and sing her my favourite Viking lullaby so she sleeps.

Hayley is able to take a nap while I keep Hope occupied and she is very pleased. She's so tired and hasn't got used to Hope's erratic sleep schedule where she wakes up at all hours of the night.

Downstairs I hear Nik shouting but I'm tired so I take my hearing aids out for a listening break. It's so exhausting hearing normally all of a sudden so often I have to take them out or I become overstimulated and grumpy.

Hearing breaks are common for me and Daddy is very good when I refuse to wear them for a few hours a day sometimes. He understands and has learnt to gently tap my shoulder to get my attention when I play. Sometimes he even recognises when I need a break before I do, he's that cool. Henry also helps me a lot when there are other noises I don't hear, such as now.

Sitting down watching beautiful baby Hopey sleep, I'm unaware we're being watched. Only when Henry nudges me, do I look around to check our surroundings. But no one's there.

A little bird sits on the window and I stare back at it. Putting my hearing aids back in, I walk closer and smile when it doesn't fly away.

"Hello birdie, I'm Hope's aunt and her best protector," I whisper quietly so I don't wake her up.