Chapter 8 - Undaggered

"Time for bed little one," Katherine says and I don't try to fight her or argue back.

She seem surprised as I normally make a fuss about my bedtime but I am super tired today after seeing Nik. We walk up the stairs and a new set of pyjamas are laid out on my bed. I run over to them and hold up them up.

"Look, look," I say excitedly to Katherine. The set is pink with a pretty fairy on. When I move towards the light, her hair shines from the sparkles.

"Do you like them? I know your favourite colour is pink."

"Yes yes!" I hug her causing her to take a step back from the force as I tumble into her.

"Steady there Hedda, you're stronger than me," she reminds me. "Don't knock me over."

"I'm a wrinkly old woman, you should listen to me because I'm older than you," I put on a screechy voice and raise a crooked finger. "I say no more shoes ever ever ever."

"No more new pyjamas either then?"

"No they're allowed," I giggle before looking at my pyjamas again. "Thank you, thank you. I love them."

She smiles at me. "You're welcome Hedda. Come on, time to get changed."

I quickly undress and put them on. I spin around showing her what they look like when I'm wearing them.

"You look lovely little one," she tells me with a smile.

I jump onto the huge bed. I'm still not used to it yet, it's so different to the awfully lumpy matts we used to sleep on at home. It feels like sleeping on a cloud.

"What do you like more? Katherine or Katerina?"

"Whichever you wish to use my darling."

"Katerina is the most pretty," I contemplate.

"Prettiest, not most pretty," she corrects me gently.

She lifts up the white covers and I wriggle underneath them before I'm tucked in all snuggled up tightly.

"Goodnight little one," Katerina kisses my forehead. "Sleep tight now. I've been given the other guest room across the hall. If you need anything that's where I'll be okay?"

"Okay," I mumble already succumbing to sleep and I barely hear the click of the door behind her as she leaves.

**

The following day, I wake up later than usual and twirl in front of my mirror, admiring the new pyjamas Katerina gave me last night. They're my new favourites and I look beautiful in them.

Damon's girlfriend Andy is here so I decide to stay upstairs until she leaves for work. I pull on my blinds, struggling to open them and eventually give up when I manage to open them halfway. That provides enough sunlight anyway.

I hope Nik comes back for me today. I hate being here, although seeing Katerina is nice. I'm so happy she loves 'Lijah. When Nik brings me to him I can make sure they're friends again and hopefully they will kiss so then Katerina will become my sister.

I hear a little noise coming from outside so I turn to the window waiting to see if Andy has left yet. Instead I see 'Lijah.

I blink and double check, am I still dreaming? My brother remains standing in the doorway facing Elena even after I rub my eyes. He's really here. It's really Lijah! Nik must have sent him to get me.

Squealing in excitement, I run across the hall and burst into Katerina's room jumping up and down unable to contain my happiness.

"'Lijah's here I just saw him," I shake her awake with a jolt and she blinks disorientated.