Chapter 4 - Missing

We discuss going to see Caroline later on in the week after I complain I haven't seen her in a while. Sheila tells me she is ill so I worry more about her not less. Vampires don't get ill.

I realise she has not told me everything when Bonnie returns and I overhear them talking in hushed voices about Caroline's ordeal with the wolves.

Thoughts of Henrik flood my mind and I know I have to see if Caroline is alright. Sheila clearly isn't planning on taking me to see her any time soon and I decide this is the perfect time to practice my tracking skills for when I go and find my family.

Listening out for Bonnie and Sheila's voices I open the front door very slowly and pause. They're still talking about Caroline and some new Martin witches that helped save her. I carefully walk out of the front door and close it behind me silently.

They don't notice.

I take the first left at the end of the street, the same way I've watched Caroline go and I walk around looking for her house. The only issue I didn't consider before, was that I don't know where I'm going. Or what Caroline's house looks like.

A while passes and I am completely lost. I haven't seen the Salvatore house either or I would go there. I start to regret my rash decision to leave the Bennett's when I can't find my way back there either.

I sit on a patch of grass and start to cry.

"Are you okay sweetie?" A young woman stops by me. "Where are your parents?"

Her question only makes me cry harder. I've lost my whole family and now the Bennett's too. I'm completely alone.

"Hey, hey. It's okay, don't cry," the woman hushes me. "I'm Jenna what's your name?"

"Hedda."

"Okay Hedda, can you tell me what you're doing here?" She asks gently. "We need to find your parents."

"You can help me? You know where they are?" I stop crying immediately. I should have done this sooner. I should have left the Bennetts and found this woman ages ago.

"Do you know where you live? A house number or street?"

I just shake my head.

"That's okay sweetie. What about your mom? Is she nearby?" Jenna asks me. "What does your house look like?"

"No," I say. "My home is not here. I don't know where it is."

"Let me ring the Sheriff, she can help us look for it," Jenna smiles and I smile back. "You'll be home soon, don't worry."

Sheriff can find my family. She can take me home.

A little while later a car pulls up and Jenna rushes to speak to the woman inside. "Sheriff Forbes, thank God you're here."

They speak for a little while and Sheriff comes out to speak to me.

"I'm Liz, what's your name darling?"

"I'm Hedda," I tell her.

"Hedda, I'm here to help you get home alright?" She says and I nod in agreement. These women are so much more helpful than the Bennetts. "Where are your shoes?"

I shake my head. Liz then asks me the same questions Jenna did but I can't give her any further answers other than I don't know.

"I'm going to take her down to the station," she turns to Jenna. "Her parents will come looking for her there."

She helps me into the back of her car and tells me not to worry. That I'm safe now and she will find my family for me. Good. I can't wait to see them all again. Jenna leaves and we start driving towards the station.