Chapter 7 - My Little Spy

Nik eventually agrees that he won't hurt Katherine after my pleading. I knew he would give in.

"Promise me?"

"I promise," he affirms steadily.

"Promise?" I check again.

"I promise Hedi," he repeats and I smile satisfied. He's never broken one to me yet. I believe he never will.

I know Katherine won't mind me telling him about my promise to her because she wants him to make sure she's safe. I've not broken my word, I've done what she wanted. In fact she will probably be happy I managed to help her so quickly.

"Remember who I am?" Nik asks me as he stands up. I think he wants to go back inside now.

"Nik," I answer confidently.

"No Hedda," he corrects quickly. "You must call me Ric while I look like him."

"Yes, no one can know," I parrot his earlier words before tugging on his sleeve. "Can we go home now?"

"Home?" His eyebrows draw together.

"With everyone," I explain starting to list off our family. I can't wait to see them all.

He sighs. "Not quite yet Hedi," he says sadly. "You have to stay here for a bit longer."

"No," I start getting upset realising what he means. "You're going to leave me here?"

"I have to, only for a little while. You're a big girl now, you can manage a bit longer. Soon I will come back and you can be with me forever. I just have to make sure it's safe for you first."

"No I want to go with you now Nik," I tell him frustratedly. "Don't leave me here, you can't. Please don't."

"I wish I could but it's not safe yet. The safest place is here and you must pretend you haven't spoken to me."

I cling onto his waist, wrapping my arms around him and not letting go. What could be so scary or important for him to do that I have to stay away from him? Why isn't he safe?

"I need you to do something for me little sister. Are you listening?" He wipes my cheeks drying my tears. "It's a fun game okay? Can you help your big brother out?"

I nod and look up at him through watery eyes. "And then you'll take me with you when you leave?"

"After this, yes Hedi I will," he agrees. I'm still unhappy but at least I know I will leave here soon. "I need you to listen to what they talk about. Stefan and Damon are trying to hurt our family, hurt me. I have to stop them before you can be with me okay?"

"They want to hurt you?" I question worriedly. Why does everyone hate Nik? He's the kindest big brother ever, why he always the one hurt?

"Yes Hedi that's why I'm here looking like Alaric. But they can't hurt me even if they want to. That's why I need you to listen in to see if they're planning something. I need you to help me."

"Why do they want to hurt you Nik?" I wrap my arms around Alaric's waist again, trying not to get too upset.

"They don't like me very much," he replies and I'm able to think for a minute.