Chapter 35 - I'm Not Mary-Lou

"Go get your sister Sarah-Jane," the motherly woman speaks to my identical twin sister downstairs.

Or actually, Mary-Lou's identical twin sister.

I hear her walk up the stairs and she peeps her head into the bedroom I'm in. It must be our bedroom.

"Lulu come on, Mommy's calling you," the pretty little girl says.

"Who?"

"Mommy," she says like it's obvious.

"My mother ran away," I point out sadly but the girl simply remains waiting for me at the door. "Who are you?"

The girl finally comes in now and hugs me.

"Lulu don't be silly, I'm your sister Sarah-Jane," she gives me a tighter hug.

I stay frozen in place, my mind reeling. Bekah and Edey must have sent me here. Why?

I'm Hedda not Lulu or Mary-Lou or this girl's sister.

What do I do?

"You do know who I am don't you?" Sarah-Jane's eyes tighten as she eyes me suspiciously.

"Yes of course," I envelop her in a big hug and conclude that Bekah must have sent me here for a reason.

I know I'm undercover again. Like when I was with the Salvatores. I've been given a very important job.

"Good, I thought you suddenly got magic and did something," she pulls away with a smile.

"There was magic," I whisper it like a secret. "That's why I don't remember much because I'm exhausted. Don't tell Mommy."

"Magic? Your magic has come?" My twin jumps up and down excitedly and I stare at her, trying to work out why she's reacting like this.

"Lulu, this is the best! We're starting to get our magic like Daddy said!"

"I don't know what happened but I felt magic," I say trying to stick as close to the truth as possible. "Can you tell me about our family?"

And with enthusiasm, Sarah-Jane jumps into a detailed explanation of our family and life. Luckily she believes me straightaway so I can stay undercover for Bekah like I know she wants me to.

I wish she told me why I need to be here though but I'm happy to be able to see again. Maybe Edey will heal my real eyes and ears while I'm gone.

Already, I badly miss feeling like myself. I don't feel settled in my skin here, because it's not mine. My hair is brown too and while it's nice, I don't feel like me. I hope the real Mary-Lou is okay.

"Where are we?" I ask my pretend sister and she laughs as my question.

"Wow your first bit of magic has made you forget everything Lulu," she teases me and I play along. "Don't worry, I'll help you."

I thank her graciously and she starts jabbering about her magic coming any day now if mine has. I don't have the heart to tell her I'm not really her sister, she will think I'm crazy. So I simply nod and listen when she says she's already felt magic stirring within her and it's only a matter of time.

It takes a long while for me to settle and get used to this new body. My new sister is brilliant and I'm enjoying not being a vampire for a bit, even though I feel like I'm not me.

I wish I was me and also human. Or anything but vampire.

When my new mommy calls us again, I skip down the stairs following my sister. This is going to be fun.